Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Today's Thought - April (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23012)

bluidkiti 04-01-2021 04:39 AM

Today's Thought - April

April 1

Unextinguished laughter shakes the skies.

~Homer

From the beginning of recorded literature, poets have sung of the glory of laughter. Being human means having the power to laugh, and as long as we are here, we will surely need and cherish that power.

Laughter can reconcile us with others and with the world. When we watch a funny movie, for example, we feel a bond with others as we laugh together. Through our laughter we are brought closer to other people.

Addiction isolates and drives us into ourselves. We retreat from our common humanity into a single unhappy consciousness. Our world narrows and joy retreats. Laughter is shut out.

In our groups we rediscover the joy of belonging to a community. Laughter is one sign of that community, and as we join in, we feel our isolation fading and a new sense of love and belonging emerging.

I am rediscovering the joy of laughter that keeps me in touch with others.

Today's reading is from the book Answers in the Heart, Daily Meditations for Men and Women Recovering from Sex Addiction

bluidkiti 04-02-2021 05:04 AM

April 2

Intellectualizing

Don’t intellectualize, utilize.

~Anonymous

Many times we waste our minds by using them too much. A mind out of control can waste a life. Our mind can tell us we are better or less than another. It can tell us we need things we don’t, and that we should fear situations we needn’t. The power of the mind to intellectualize a life into a mess is amazing.

Our program should be utilized not intellectualized. We do not need to waste time debating points about the program. We will not resolve with other intellectuals whether or not alcoholism and drug addiction are physical diseases or bad habits. The point, for us addicts, is that we will waste our life, die, or go insane if we do not stay in recovery. All we have to do is look around a meeting room to see whether or not it works.

The Steps tell me HOW the program works. The Traditions tell me WHY it works. My sponsor and fellow members show me THAT it works.

Today's reading is from the book Easy Does It, A Book of Daily Twelve Step Meditations

bluidkiti 04-03-2021 04:40 AM

April 3

We must be willing to forgive without limit even as God forgives; otherwise we cannot be forgiven.

~Nels F. S. Ferré

Few of us find it easy to forgive a genuinely felt offense. We may be too protective of our ego. Our grievances are too deeply embedded. So in trying to forgive, we often give offense. As a consequence, the effort to forgive becomes an opportunity for us to act as judge and jury, to see someone’s error and, magnanimously, not hold it against him or her. Or to make sure the offender sees how long-suffering and tolerant we are. Or to bargain: if the offender will only do such-and-such, we’ll forgive.

In such grudging hands, real forgiveness hardly stands a chance. Better that we ask our Higher Power to do it for us. We can help best by asking God to take over. To truly appreciate the healing force of forgiveness, we must be willing to extend it all the way.

I will ask nothing in exchange for my forgiveness.

Today's reading is from the book In God's Care, Daily Meditations on Spirituality in Recovery

bluidkiti 04-04-2021 04:28 AM

April 4

I want to do it because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be but a challenge to others.

~Amelia Earhart

Fear of failure plagues many women, not just those who get into trouble with drugs, alcohol, food. Those of us in this recovery program may still fear failure. Halting our addiction doesn't solve all our problems, but it does allow us to realistically take stock of our assets. Knowing our assets and accepting them provides the confidence we need to attempt a project, to strive for a goal.

Another plus of this recovery program is the help available from our groups and our higher power. All things become possible when we understand we are not alone. Seeing other women strive and succeed or strive, fail, and strive again, undefeated, creates an energy flow that can spur us on, if we choose. Feeling good about others' accomplishments can motivate each of us.

Today, I will pay particular attention to the accomplishments of other women, those close to me and those I read or hear about. I will believe their example and feel the forward push.

Today's reading is from the book Each Day a New Beginning, Daily meditations for Women

bluidkiti 04-05-2021 05:23 AM

April 5

We don’t pay our sponsors for their time. Instead, we pay it forward. We turn around and help the next person. That’s how the whole thing works.

~Michael Graubart

We all stand on the shoulders of those who have been our teachers, and on the shoulders of those who taught our teachers. When we pick a sponsor for our recovery, we look for someone we admire and trust, someone who has demonstrated success in his recovery.

Perhaps we feel we have a long way to go and a lot to learn. Perhaps we are struck by the big job we have ahead. But all we need to do is make progress. And we don’t have to reinvent the wheel. When we learn from our sponsor and from other people in our recovery community who are making progress, we get to stand on their shoulders. They let us see much more than we could see alone.

Today, I am grateful for all the benefits of having a good sponsor.

Today's reading is from the book Stepping Stones, More Daily Meditations for Men

bluidkiti 04-06-2021 04:49 AM

April 6

AA Thought for the Day

A lot of well-meaning people treat alcoholics like the priest and the Levite. They pass by on the other side by scorning them and telling them what low people they are, with no willpower. Whereas, they really have fallen for alcohol, in the same way as the man in the story fell among robbers. And the member of AA who is working with others is like the Good Samaritan. Am I moved with compassion? Do I take care of another alcoholic whenever I can?
Meditation for the Day

I must constantly live in preparation for something better to come. All of life is a preparation for something better. I must anticipate the morning to come. I must feel, in the night of sorrow, that understanding joy that tells of confident expectation of better things to come. “Sorrow may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” Know that God has something better in store for you, as long as you are making yourself ready for it. All your existence in this world is training for a better life to come.
Prayer for the Day

I pray that when life is over, I will return to an eternal, spaceless life with God. I pray that I may make this life a preparation for a better life to come.

Today's reading is from the book Twenty-Four Hours a Day, A Spiritual Resource with Practical Applications for Daily Life

bluidkiti 04-07-2021 04:14 AM

April 7

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent.

~Erica Jong

How easy it is to look at others with envy, certain that everyone we know is better in every way: school, sports, games, appearance. What we may not know is that each of us is exactly right the way we are. And what's more, no one of us is without talent. Perhaps we simply have not discovered it yet, or maybe we've been certain we knew what the talent should be, rather than letting the talent within us emerge.

It's reassuring to know that we are talented, that we are special just as we are, that no one else is able to bring to this life exactly the same ingredients that we're able to bring.

What special talent shall I exercise today?

Today's reading is from the book Today's Gift, Daily Meditations for Families

bluidkiti 04-08-2021 05:33 AM

April 8

The only way to speak the truth is to speak lovingly.

~Henry David Thoreau

Recovery teaches us to tell the truth. We must be honest if we want to save our lives. We must learn to speak with care—care for ourselves and for others.

To be honest means to speak in a fair and truthful way. To be honest and loving means learning when to speak, and how to speak, in a caring way. We can help others by honestly telling them what we think and feel and see—but only when we do this with love.

We must be careful when we speak. Speaking the truth is like using a very sharp knife—it can be used for good, or it can be used to hurt others. We should never handle it carelessly or use it to hurt someone.
Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me know the truth. Help me speak the truth to others with love.
Action for the Day

I’ll make a list of three times I’ve hurt someone by being honest, but not with love. I’ll also list three times I’ve helped someone by being truthful, with love.

Today's reading is from the book Keep it Simple, Daily Meditations for Twelve Step Beginnings and Renewal

bluidkiti 04-09-2021 04:36 AM

April 9

For him who confesses, shams are over and realities have begun; he has exteriorized his rottenness. If he has not actually got rid of it, he at least no longer smears it over with a hypocritical show of virtue.

~William James

On the path we are following, confession is a frequent part of our experience. We admit our powerlessness; we make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves and admit our wrongs; we make amends to people we have harmed; and we continue with personal inventory, promptly admitting our wrongs. With each of these Steps, we grow spiritually. By expressing on the outside what we privately know inside, we feel relief and gain self-respect.

Sometimes we have harbored and protected a real rottenness inside that needed to be exposed so we could change. Other times, what we felt was rottenness turned out—under the light of confession—to be only a human foible in need of airing. In either case, we grew stronger as we drew closer to reality and gave up the show of virtue by admitting our mistakes.

I will walk the path of recovery today by confessing my wrongs promptly.

Today's reading is from the book Touchstones, A Book of Daily Meditations for Men

bluidkiti 04-10-2021 05:16 AM

April 10

Sticking to the basics

If we don’t stick to the basics, we’ll lose sight of who we are and where we came from. We are not perfect, spiritual giants. We’re addicts who have found a solution to our living problem, a practical solution to an impractical lifestyle.

And if we forget the basics—where we come from, working the Steps, and attending meetings—we may be subject to unrealistic ideals and illusions. These can get in the way of recovery.

Am I learning to live one day at a time?

Higher Power, help me to keep it simple and stick to the basics.

Today I’ll be sure to stick to the basics by…

Today's reading is from the book Day by Day, Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts

bluidkiti 04-11-2021 05:07 AM

April 11

Reflection for the Day

Looking back at those last desperate days before I came to recovery, I remember more than anything the feelings of loneliness and isolation. Even when I was surrounded by people, including my own family, the sense of “aloneness” was overwhelming. Even when I tried to act sociable and wore the mask of cheerfulness, I usually felt a terrible anger of not belonging. Will I ever forget the misery of “being alone in a crowd”?
Today I Pray

I thank my Higher Power for the greatest single joy that has come to me outside of my sobriety—the feeling that I am no longer alone. May I not assume that loneliness will vanish overnight. May I know that there will be a lonely time during recovery, especially since I must pull away from my former junkie friends or drinking buddies. I pray that I may find new friends who are recovering. I thank my Higher Power for the fellowship of the program.
Today I Will Remember

I am not alone.

Today's reading is from the book A Day at a Time, Daily Reflections for Recovering People

bluidkiti 04-12-2021 05:29 AM

April 12

Old habits are hard to break.

Our behavior and beliefs were ingrained by the time we entered the Twelve Step program. Our family of origin had taught us how to interpret our experiences. Our friends had complimented us for our values, or for the absence of them. So we had developed stock responses to many situations. We didn’t think very hard or long about what to do. Unfortunately, we made many mistakes.

We are learning from those mistakes now, and we are slowly developing new responses. We are learning how to listen rather than how to shame or try to control. We are learning how to let other people make their own decisions. Seeking help from people who share this program is a big step for us. From the Steps we are absorbing a new set of values and a new understanding of who we really are. And we are trying to give our lives and will to God daily.

Our process for change will be a long one, but perfection is not expected. Making a tiny bit of progress, every day, is all that’s necessary.

I can’t change the things that need changing overnight. Just knowing that some habits need to go is a beginning. Today I’ll work on one of them.

Today's reading is from the book A Life of My Own, Meditations on Hope and Acceptance

bluidkiti 04-13-2021 04:55 AM

April 13

Self-love can seem a confusing maze in which many of us feel lost and hopeless. We hold on tightly to memories of the love we did not receive in the past, using them as a shield to protect us from being vulnerable and hurt again. Our hearts stay closed, although the yearning for deep connection may remain.

Self-love asks us to be mindful and hold our own well-being and happiness in positive regard. This is not a narcissistic, selfish perspective, an always aim-to-feel-good state. Rather, it is an honoring of our very being. It is a dynamic appreciation for both our strengths and weaknesses, grounded in the gradual acceptance of who we are as a whole being—with all our unique physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual flavors and flaws.

Addictive behaviors helped us run from our faults rather than learn to accept and then, perhaps, transform them. Knowing what we feel, think, and want leads to a deeper understanding of self-care and healthy boundaries. It is a lifelong journey that we nourish by small actions and wise choices each and every day.

Today, I will focus on improving one personal quality that will help me love myself more.

Today's reading is from the book Cornerstones, Daily Meditations for the Journey into Manhood and Recovery

bluidkiti 04-14-2021 05:45 AM

April 14

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

~Step Four of Al-Anon

By the time we get to the Fourth of the Twelve Steps, we are ready to face our darker side, the side that prevents us from loving ourselves and others, from letting others love us, and from enjoying life. The purpose of Step Four is not to make ourselves feel worse; our purpose is to begin to remove our blocks to joy and love.

We look for fears, anger, hurt, and shame from past events—buried feelings that may be affecting our life today. We search for subconscious beliefs about ourselves and others that may be interfering with the quality of our relationships. These beliefs say: I’m not lovable… I’m a burden to those around me… People can’t be trusted… I can’t be trusted… I don’t deserve to be happy and successful… Life isn’t worth living. We look at our behaviors and patterns with an eye toward discerning the self-defeating ones. With love and compassion for ourselves, we try to unearth all our guilt—earned and unearned—and expose it to the light.

We perform this examination without fear of what we shall find, because this soul-searching can cleanse us and help us feel better about ourselves than we ever dreamt possible.

God, help me search out the blocks and barriers within myself. Bring what I need to know into my conscious mind, so I can be free of it. Show me what I need to know about myself.

Today's reading is from the book The Language of Letting Go, Daily Meditations on Codependency

bluidkiti 04-15-2021 04:47 AM

April 15

Fear is static that prevents me from hearing myself.

~Samuel Butler

The trouble with deep feelings is they shout over the soft-spoken voices of our thoughts. When our consciousness is bombarded with the deafening volume of out-of-control emotions, perspective is impossible.

When fear is in control, fight or flight are our only options. More often than not, we choose flight and scurry off to one of our numerous hiding places. There, we can’t hear the dissenting opinions voiced by our own thoughts; in effect, our most responsible self is drowned out.

But action talks louder than fear or any other rampaging emotion. If confronted directly and bravely, any tyrant emotion reveals itself as a mouse rather than a lion, a mouse whose terrifying roar is really a squeak held up to a microphone.

Let me not be intimidated by emotional outbursts. I know that persistent, rational action will see me through.

Today's reading is from the book Days of Healing, Days of Joy, Daily Meditations for Adult Children

bluidkiti 04-16-2021 04:46 AM

April 16

Nothing is worth more than this day.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Life—each day of it, each minute of it—is such a miracle. Let’s stop and think about it for a minute. Where does it come from? Why was it given to each of us?

Life is not the same for any two people. Every person has a life that is different from everyone else’s. Yet in some ways it is the same for all of us. We are all born, and we all die. We all lose people we love and welcome new people to love into our lives.

The flavor of life today—the exact mix of sunshine and clouds, happiness and sadness, courage and fear, love and loneliness—will never be the same again. Not tomorrow or the next day.
Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me appreciate the beauty of your world and the richness of my life today.
Today's Action

Today I will smile—at everyone.

Today's reading is from the book God Grant Me, More Daily Meditations from the Authors of Keep It Simple

bluidkiti 04-17-2021 05:39 AM

April 17

It is an old and ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.

~Rollo May

Our boundaries are both inside and outside ourselves. No one can set them for us; only we can set them. When we come into recovery, boundaries are often unfamiliar. We may wonder, what are they? How do we use them? Many of us come from families where, as children, our boundaries were disregarded, creating a pattern we continue to act on as adults.

Starting to set boundaries for ourselves takes time and practice. Because the experience is unfamiliar, we may often find ourselves veering between two extremes—holding back for fear of blurring our boundaries or acting as if we have no boundaries at all. But our willingness to set boundaries and stick with them brings us a clearer sense of who we are. We begin to learn where we start and end. We learn the same about other people. With boundaries come a new sense of self-respect as we affirm to ourselves that we are not objects to be trampled on or used, but we are human beings with dignity.

I know my own limits, and if I don’t, I have every right to learn them.

Today's reading is from the book Answers in the Heart, Daily Meditations for Men and Women Recovering from Sex Addiction

bluidkiti 04-18-2021 06:39 AM

April 18

Touching Hands

If only all the hands that reach could touch.

~Mary A. Loberg

When we were using, we may have been surrounded by people, but we felt alone. When we were beaten down to the pits of despair, we reached for helping hands. We found many extended to touch ours.

We can never stand so tall as when we stoop to reach the searching hands of those who may need our help. We know that the hands we touch will give us still more strength to work our program and carry our message of love.

Now we, too, are willing to reach out to help others who are still suffering, whether they’re in the program or not. We want to give them the “hand up” we got from our friends and sponsor.

Unless my hands touch others, my recovery program will not survive. This union of hands is one of the secrets of its success.

Today's reading is from the book Easy Does It, A Book of Daily Twelve Step Meditations

bluidkiti 04-19-2021 04:57 AM

April 19

Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.

~Anonymous

Surges of anger may come to us unbidden, but we don’t have to let anger lead us around by the nose. Allowing anger to color our attitudes and control our behavior is entirely up to us. Many of us are ruled by anger. This is destructive, both physically and spiritually. Not only is anger a corrosive emotion that eats at our stomach lining and our serenity, it also separates us from our Higher Power.

Many of us find relief from anger in our Twelve Step recovery programs. We learn to accept things we can’t change. Our furious reactions to people, places, and things that are not under our control subside when we turn them over to God.

Many of us suppress our anger. We would do better to acknowledge it and forgive. Above all, we need to ask for help. It works. God offers us freedom from anger, which is the same freedom we received from addiction.

If I can’t turn off my anger, I can turn it over to God.

Today's reading is from the book In God's Care, Daily Meditations on Spirituality in Recovery

bluidkiti 04-20-2021 02:34 AM

April 20

All of us have unique talents and gifts. No obstacle, be it physical, mental or emotional, has the power to destroy our innate creative energies.

~Liane Cordes

Believing this fully is difficult at times; for some of us, most of the time. But it is true. What each of us can con*tribute to the world is unlike every other contribution. Each talent is slightly different from every other talent and they are all needed. We are all needed.

Creativity—any kind—writing, photography, cooking, child care, weaving, managing, woodworking—nourishes the self that feels isolated and worthless. And as the self is nourished, it grows; it recovers.

Recovery means changing our lifestyle. It means reaching out to others and being there for one another. It means rejoining the human race by giving of ourselves. Our talents are the gifts the human race awaits—needs, in fact. Do we know our talents?

l will search out my secret dreams today. In them lie my talents. l will develop them. Help awaits me.

Today's reading is from the book Each Day a New Beginning, Daily meditations for Women

bluidkiti 04-21-2021 02:41 AM

April 21

Gossip needn’t be false to be evil—there’s a lot of truth that shouldn’t be passed around.

~Frank A. Clark

To be a friend is a trust placed in us. Naturally, as we get to know someone better, and we grow closer over time, he lets us into his more private and personal world, and he does that in a spirit of trust. In a sense, he is saying we may come past the fence that keeps most people out because he trusts us. Maybe he even lets us know some guarded secrets about his life. We need to be sure that we live up to the trust placed in us. Our self-respect and our character are at stake: how loyally do we honor that trust?

When we attend our meetings, we hear many things that are spoken in trust. Hearing someone’s story is a privilege and an honor, and with that comes our duty to honor and protect the privacy of our fellow members. When someone takes us into his privacy, it becomes our job to protect it. If we fail to keep his trust, it reflects on us as not worthy of the honor.

Today, I am grateful for the chance to know other men and women so well that they share their private lives with me. I honor that trust by protecting their privacy.

Today's reading is from the book Stepping Stones, More Daily Meditations for Men

bluidkiti 04-22-2021 06:18 AM

April 22

AA Thought for the Day

In AA we often hear the slogan “Easy does it.” Alcoholics always do everything to excess. They drink too much. They worry too much. They have too many resentments. They hurt themselves physically and mentally by too much of everything. So when they come into AA, they have to learn to take it easy. None of us knows how much longer we have to live. It’s probable that we wouldn’t have lived very long if we had continued to drink the way we used to. By stopping drinking, we have increased our chances of living for a while longer. Have I learned to take it easy?
Meditation for the Day

You must be before you can do. To accomplish much, be much. In all cases, the doing must be the expression of the being. It is foolish to think that we can accomplish much in personal relationships without first preparing ourselves by being honest, pure, unselfish, and loving. We must choose the good and keep choosing it, before we are ready to be used by God to accomplish anything worthwhile. We will not be given the opportunities until we are ready for them. Quiet times of communion with our Higher Power are good preparation for creative action.
Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may constantly prepare myself for better things to come. I pray that I may only have opportunities when I am ready for them.

Today's reading is from the book Twenty-Four Hours a Day, A Spiritual Resource with Practical Applications for Daily Life

bluidkiti 04-23-2021 04:54 AM

April 23

An oak and a reed were arguing about their strength. When a strong wind came up, the reed avoided being uprooted by bending and leaning with the gusts of wind. But the oak stood firm and was torn up by the roots.

~Aesop

Within each of us, as in the reed and the oak, is a single characteristic which is both our strongest and weakest trait. The bending which keeps the reed alive makes it weak, we might think. Some of us see both sides of every argument and are good team players, fair judges, and compassionate friends. But like the reed—always bending to the needs of others—we may never know what we want or who we are.

Some of us believe we are like the oak: strong and tough and successful in the face of most difficulty. But we may never learn to accept flaws in ourselves.

We are wise to remember that no trait is strong or weak, but we make it so by how we use it. We can use our strength to stand straight in the face of hardship, and we can use our strength to bend.

What is my strongest and weakest trait?

Today's reading is from the book Today's Gift, Daily Meditations for Families

bluidkiti 04-24-2021 06:05 AM

April 24

One of the most important parts of the AA program is to give our drink problem to God honestly and fully.

~Twenty-Four Hours a Day

We don’t handle our drinking or other drug problem. We don’t take care of this problem by ourselves. We turn our problem over to our Higher Power. We need to be very clear about this; we can’t handle our drinking or other drug problem! Our Higher Power keeps us sober through the Steps and the fellowship of the program.

Our job is to hand over our problem to our Higher Power. We do this daily by acting like sober people.
Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, I know I can’t handle drinking and using other drugs. I turn my problem over to You. Please take from me the urge to drink or use.
Action for the Day

Today, I’ll remember why I can’t handle or take care of my problem with alcohol or other drugs. And I’ll remember why my Higher Power can.

Today's reading is from the book Keep it Simple, Daily Meditations for Twelve Step Beginnings and Renewal

bluidkiti 04-25-2021 05:30 AM

April 25

It is extraordinary how extraordinary the ordinary person is.

~George F. Will

At our meetings, we often hear stories of the courage of ordinary people and their triumph against great odds. When we hear of a person’s life being restored, we are witnesses to miracles. Our friends are heroes, and so are we. As a man describes his passage from insanity to recovery, we are moved.

Whenever we are truly open to knowing the people around us, whether at a meeting or in getting to know a neighbor, we will see heroism. It is amazing that when we get to know most people, and hear what their lives have been like, we find so much to admire and respect. It is a privilege to have such friends. It is amazing that they are so abundant when we open ourselves to them. God truly does speak to us through others.

I am grateful when I think about the extraordinary people around me and the courage in each of them. I am grateful to be among them.

Today's reading is from the book Touchstones, A Book of Daily Meditations for Men

bluidkiti 04-26-2021 05:52 AM

April 26

Overcoming indecision

We often find it difficult to make simple decisions in our everyday lives. Sometimes the major decisions are easier to make than minor ones. But it is good practice to ask for help on any issue we need help with, major or minor, simple or complex.

Over time our Higher Power will help us see life situations with increasing clarity. Over time everyday decisions will become easier to make, and everyday irritations will stop paralyzing our thinking.

Am I conquering my indecision?

Higher Power, I pray for greater self-awareness and the willingness to ask for help with everyday indecision.

Today's reading is from the book Day by Day, Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts

bluidkiti 04-27-2021 05:17 AM

April 27

Reflection for the Day

When a person wakes up each morning and rises through sweaty nausea to face frightening reality with bones rattling and nerves screaming; when a person stumbles through the day in a pit of despair, wishing to die, but refusing to die; when a person gets up the next day and does it all over again—well, that takes guts. That takes a kind of real, basic survival courage, a courage that can be put to good use if that person ever finds their way to recovery. That person has learned courage the hard way, and when that person finds recovery, they discover new and beautiful ways to use their courage. Have I the courage to keep trying, one day at a time?
Today I Pray

May I put the “guts-to-survive” kind of courage left over from my drinking and using days into good use through my recovery. If I was able to “hang on” enough to live through the miseries of my addiction, may I translate that same will to survive into my recovery program. May I use my courage in new, constructive ways.
Today I Will Remember

My Higher Power preserved me to help carry out my life’s true purpose.

Today's reading is from the book A Day at a Time, Daily Reflections for Recovering People

bluidkiti 04-28-2021 05:13 AM

April 28

Loving others begins with respect.

So many books have been written on “how to love” that many of us assume we don’t know how and maybe will never learn. We can simplify the process, however, by focusing on the Golden Rule. For starters, we can treat others as respectfully as we’d like to be treated. People respond well to respect, and they often pay us respect in return.

Next, let’s put the needs of at least one other person ahead of our own today. It’s imperative that we do it willingly, not resentfully. We can ask God to help us. We’ll discover an unexpected benefit: Not being self-absorbed for a change is really quite refreshing.

Finally, we can ask God for freedom from the thinking that keeps us from loving others. Each person who enters our circle of experience today can be loved by us if we are willing to turn to God for help.

Loving others is easier if I keep it simple. I will focus on courtesy today.

Today's reading is from the book A Life of My Own, Meditations on Hope and Acceptance

bluidkiti 04-29-2021 03:58 AM

April 29

The inner magician knows that getting comfortable with uncertainty is a very useful skill. We are, in fact, dancing an eternal tango with the unfamiliar. Those many moments on our life journey when the universe does not seem to be aligned with our vision can be painful and obstructive. And it can be overwhelming when we’re faced with a big life decision. Thoughts of a new job, the next step in a relationship, moving to a new place, a big health decision, or the leap of committing to be a father can paralyze us. These large choices can unearth lots of fear and unfinished business—and sometimes push us back into our addictive patterns.

There are very specific steps that can help us to get unstuck. The first is to honor and accept uncertainty as our teacher. Uncertainty accompanies our most dogged attempts to figure things out. Not knowing what to do happens so often in life, we’d think everyone would get good and more relaxed about inhabiting our uncertain lives. A really common barrier to life’s flow is that most of us repeatedly respond to uncertainty with fear and withdrawal rather than curiosity and openness.

I will start to notice how I normally react to uncertainty in my life.

Today's reading is from the book Cornerstones, Daily Meditations for the Journey into Manhood and Recovery

bluidkiti 04-30-2021 04:50 AM

April 30

Finding Our Own Truth

We must each discover our own truth. It does not help us if those we love find their truth. They cannot give it to us. It does not help if someone we love knows a particular truth in our life. We must discover our truth for ourselves. We must each discover and stand in our own light. We often need to struggle, fail, and be confused and frustrated. That’s how we break through our struggle; that’s how we learn what is true and right for ourselves.

Each of us has our own share of truth, waiting to reveal itself to us. Each of us has our own share of the light, waiting for us to stand in it, to claim it as ours. Encouragement helps. Support helps. A firm belief that each person has truth available—appropriate to each situation—is what will help. Each experience, each frustration, each situation, has its own truth waiting to be revealed. Don’t give up until you find it—for yourself. We shall be guided into truth, if we are seeking it. We are not alone.

Today, I will search for my own truth, and I will allow others to do the same. I will place value on my vision and the vision of others. We are each on the journey, making our own discoveries—the ones that are right for us today.

Today's reading is from the book The Language of Letting Go, Daily Meditations on Codependency