Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > New to Bluidkiti's Recovery Forums? > New Member Check In
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

New Member Check In Make sure to stop by here and say hello!

Post New ThreadReply

Old 01-18-2022, 12:29 PM   #961
jy826

Hi everyone! My name is Jennifer, and I am an alcoholic in the Los Angeles area Glad to be here!
jy826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2022, 10:20 AM   #963
bluidkiti
Administrator

Hi Jennifer, It is so great hearing from you. I hope you will continue to come and share with us here. Have a great day!
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:51 AM   #964
thinojosa

Default Introduction

Hi I'm Tony glad to be here! https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/images/smilies/170.gif
thinojosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #965
bluidkiti
Administrator

Hi Tony. Glad to have you join us. Have a great day!
Old 02-06-2022, 03:51 AM   #966
trejorey

Hi, I'm Jaime a recovering alcoholic.
trejorey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trejorey For Sharing:
Old 02-06-2022, 05:00 AM   #967
bluidkiti
Administrator

Hi Jaime, It is great having you join us here. I hope you will continue to come and share with us. Have a great day!
Old 04-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #968
john w.

Default A Saint Patrick’s Day To Remember aka Hello from John W.

Being of the rotary dial crowd as a kid growing up, using some websites has been a challenge. This one is new to me. Thus the easiest way to introduce myself is by a piece I wrote for our local recovery newsletter, it's called: 'A Saint Patrick’s Day To Remember' and goes like this:

"For over thirty-five years nearly daily drinking had not convinced me I had a problem with alcohol. Neither had two DUIs or the six-month separation from my soon-to-be [although I did not then know it] ex-wife in the summer of the past year. Although I had grudgingly started attending AA meetings in the winter, I clearly didn’t 'get it,' for I was hung over at every 7 a.m. meeting for months.

First, Christmas would be the day I stopped for good, then my eldest’s birthday, New Years Eve, then the first day of the new year, the anniversary of my father’s death, my birthday, and even Valentine’s Day was a target, but each target was missed. So on March 8th, when my deceased father’s birthday arrived and my ex said she had finally had enough, no looking back, she was filing for divorce forthwith, you would have thought that would have caused me to stop--you would have been wrong.

As I whined about my misfortune, hung over again, the next day at 7 a.m., something different happened. While sympathy was offered by several, one guy just looked me in the eye and said: 'I can’t say enough about the not-drinking part of this program!'

I don’t know how it happened, because I didn’t stop that day or even the next, but I did find myself in my favorite bar on my favorite day, St. Patty’s Day, not long thereafter. I had my newest favorite drink, soda with a splash of OJ, not once but twice and was heading back to the house, no longer my “home”, when it hit me.

I realized that for the first time in as long as I could remember, not only had I not had a drink yet that day, I had not even thought about having a drink that day, I had not even wanted a drink that day. I began to cry. . . . just as I am now as I remember the instant of that moment after many intervening sober days.

At my 7 a.m. meeting the next morning I reported in (for the first time over the previous two weeks I had actually been telling the truth about being a newcomer, I had lied about it for the first three months), that I hadn’t had a drink the day before. My 'mentor,' a lovely woman with sixteen years at the time who was to die of cancer, sober, before her seventeenth birthday, gave me a Big Hug and said that St. Patrick’s Day was a great sobriety birthday, so I had to be sure not to drink in the day ahead.

Not realizing how I was tempting fate, and being a creature of habit, I returned that day again to my favorite watering hole. Again it was soda with a splash of OJ, then on to the house from which I was soon to be 'kicked out' by the court. While driving home that next day, I was again struck by the fact that I had not thought of or wanted a drink that day, two consecutive days, that was a World Record or at least a Personal Best.

Not long thereafter I got a sponsor and starting working the steps. The family broke up, the divorce happened, the three children were alienated and did not want to be with their dad, the job got worse and my world seemed to implode around me, but I didn’t drink.

And time began to pass for me, as it does for all of us, in the wonderful way time passes in my 12 Step program, One Day At A Time.

As the days without drinking slowly turned into months and then years without drinking, marvelous things began to happen to me. The children started to want to be with their dad again, not in the same way or all at once, but to be with him none the less. A new relationship with a woman in AA, herself with double-digit sobriety blossomed into my life. Other problems persisted or resolved, but I had found a way to get through them without drinking, at least for that day.

Too many St. Patrick’s Days past were forgotten due to blackouts or the manner in which I had comported myself during them, but the one which appears on my license plate, 3 17 05, daily recalls to me A St. Patrick’s Day To Remember."

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

I am John W. and I am an alcoholic.
john w. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john w. For Sharing:
Old 04-09-2022, 07:42 PM   #969
janbear
Trusted Servant

Hi John and Welcome. Thanks for sharing. I am Jan and I am a alcoholic/addict. My date is August 4,2018 and I am grateful for that. I am also from the same crowd as you and I don't claim to be computer literate. Have a great evening
janbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to janbear For Sharing:
Old 04-10-2022, 06:25 AM   #970
bluidkiti
Administrator

Hey John, It is great seeing you here. Thank you so very much for sharing your story. I hope you will continue to come and share with us. Have a great day!
Old 04-15-2022, 01:07 PM   #971
john w.

Default My Story, What Happened, What it's like now

For over thirty-five years nearly daily drinking had not convinced me I had a problem with alcohol. Neither had two DUIs or the six-month separation from my soon-to-be [although I did not then know it] ex-wife in the summer of the past year. Although I had grudgingly started attending AA meetings in the winter, I clearly didn’t “get it”, for I was hung over at every 7 a.m. meeting for months.

First, Christmas would be the day I stopped for good, then my eldest’s birthday, New Years Eve, then the first day of the new year, the anniversary of my father’s death, my birthday, and even Valentine’s Day was a target, but each target was missed. So on March 8th, when my deceased father’s birthday arrived and my ex said she had finally had enough, no looking back, she was filing for divorce forthwith, you would have thought that would have caused me to stop--you would have been wrong.

As I whined about my misfortune, hung over again, the next day at 7 a.m., something different happened. While sympathy was offered by several, one guy just looked me in the eye and said: “I can’t say enough about the not-drinking part of this program!”

I don’t know how it happened, because I didn’t stop that day or even the next, but I did find myself in my favorite bar on my favorite day, St. Patty’s Day, not long thereafter. I had my newest favorite drink, soda with a splash of OJ, not once but twice and was heading back to the house, no longer my “home”, when it hit me.

I realized that for the first time in as long as I could remember, not only had I not had a drink yet that day, I had not even thought about having a drink that day, I had not even wanted a drink that day. I began to cry. . . . just as I am now as I remember the instant of that moment after many intervening sober days.

At my 7 a.m. meeting the next morning I reported in (for the first time over the previous two weeks I had actually been telling the truth about being a newcomer, I had lied about it for the first three months), that I hadn’t had a drink the day before. My “mentor”, a lovely woman with sixteen years at the time who was to die of cancer, sober, before her seventeenth birthday, gave me a Big Hug and said that St. Patrick’s Day was a great sobriety birthday, so I had to be sure not to drink in the day ahead.

Not realizing how I was tempting fate, and being a creature of habit, I returned that day again to my favorite watering hole. Again it was soda with a splash of OJ, then on to the house from which I was soon to be “kicked out” by the court. While driving home that next day, I was again struck by the fact that I had not thought of or wanted a drink that day, two consecutive days, that was a World Record or at least a Personal Best.

Not long thereafter I got a sponsor and starting working the steps. The family broke up, the divorce happened, the three children were alienated and did not want to be with their dad, the job got worse and my world seemed to implode around me, but I didn’t drink.

And time began to pass for me, as it does for all of us, in the wonderful way time passes in this program, One Day At A Time.

As the days without drinking slowly turned into months and then years without drinking, marvelous things began to happen to me. The children started to want to be with their dad again, not in the same way or all at once, but to be with him none the less. A new relationship with a woman in AA, herself with double-digit sobriety blossomed into my life. Other problems persisted or resolved, but I had found a way to get through them without drinking, at least for that day.

Too many St. Patrick’s Days past were forgotten due to blackouts or the manner in which I had comported myself during them, but the one which appears on my license plate, 3 17 05, daily recalls to me A St. Patrick’s Day To Remember.
John W.
john w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM   #972
EOHic

I'm never sure how these things work, but here goes:

I'm Todd and an alcoholic. My sobriety date is 8-24-2012. My first meeting was in August of 1988. I went to weekly meetings for 24 years and drank every 6 months or so. I didn't get sober until I had the willingness to work the steps.
EOHic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EOHic For Sharing:
Old 06-25-2022, 05:51 AM   #973
bluidkiti
Administrator

Hi Todd, I am very glad to have you join us here. Congratulations on your sober time! I hope you will continue to come and share with us here. Have a great day!
Old 06-25-2022, 10:48 AM   #974
janbear
Trusted Servant

Hi Todd. Glad you are here. Make yourself at home.
janbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:07 PM   #975
suerob49

Default Checking in

Hi everyone
My name is Sue and I'm an alcoholic.
I hope everyone is having a great day
suerob49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply