Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > 12 Steps and 12 Traditions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

12 Steps and 12 Traditions Information and Discussions related to the 12 Steps and The 12 Traditions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #35
bluidkiti
Administrator

SESSION 17

STEP 9 Into Action pp. 76 - 84

Step 9. Made direct amends wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
The spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it. (83: 2)

Take Step 9

ION YOUR OWN: STUDY – What did the Big Book authors say?

• READ Read pages 76 - 84 in Chapter 6, Into Action on Step 9. Many read Step 9 in the 12&12. Reparations take innumerable forms. (79: 1)

• WRITE Take a name, and decide what action is needed to re-create the best possible relationship with that person.

• TALK Talk with your sponsor and other members of the group. Review the written directions as they are in the Big Book.
      • Making amends means being able to say you are sorry, that you make mistakes, that you care, and that you are growing and changing. Keep it a pure and simple amend and nothing else.

• PRACTICE DAILY MEDITATION / PRAYER We are not alone.

II WITH THE GROUP: PRACTICE – What does the Big Book say to me about my practice of Step 9?
We may read pages 76-84 in Chapter 6, Into Action on Step 9. Support is needed to carry out this Step. We can only do the part we are responsible for when we make amends. Step 9 requires patience, thoughtful self examination, and restraint.
Members of the group may share their experiences with this Step by the Big Book.

Points of Focus and Reflection (76: 3-78: 0; 79: 1-80: 1; 81: 1-82: 1; 83: 1-84: 1)
1.) Ask for willingness
  • How is making amends a commitment to a continuous process of change?
  • Why is making amends more than just saying, “I’m sorry?”
  • What about financial amends? What behaviors do I need to amend?
  • Do I owe amends to people who have also harmed me? (77: 1)
  • Do I owe amends to anyone who is dead? What was special about that person that I might be able to use in planning my amends?
  • Am I genuine in making my amends, or do I have hidden motives, such as to gain acceptance or love from someone else, or to prove them wrong and me right?
  • Can I let go of the outcome, knowing that I have no control over the other person’s response?
2.) Direct amends
  • The Big Book states that in making amends:
      • We become ready, and we have obtained permission. (80: 1)
      • We…have consulted with [our sponsor or] others. (80: 1)
      • We…asked God to help. (80: 1)
      • We ask that we be given strength and direction to do the right thing. (79: 1)
      • We are trying to put our lives in order… [and] to be of maximum service to God and to the people about us. (77: 0)
      • Face to face, we make direct amends. (59: 2)
      • We go out to our fellows. (76: 3) We go…in a helpful and forgiving spirit. (77: 1) We secure their consent. (80: 1)
      • We will never get over drinking until we have done our utmost to straighten out the past. (77: 2)
      • We have a sincere desire to set right the wrong. (77: 0)
      • We are there to sweep off our side of the street. (77: 2)
      • Their faults are not discussed. We stick to our own. (78: 0)
      • Confessing our former ill feeling and expressing our regret. (77: 1)
      • We should admit our fault. (81: 1)
      • We are sorry for what we have done and…it shall not be repeated. (81: 1)
  • Step 9 Promises: Do I now know a new freedom and a new happiness? (83: 4)

3.) Will making direct amends injure them or others?
  • Will I be harming the person or others further by making amends?
  • When I feel guilty, do I put them in the position of having to take care of me?
  • Talk with your sponsor and other group members about how these amends might be made.

III DAILY PRACTICE OF STEP 9 PRINCIPLES
  • How may I accept responsibility for the harm I caused and for repairing that harm? How may I give of myself and be of service to others?
  • May I accept that my love and tolerance also extend to myself?
  • How may I let go of all my expectations about how my amends will be received?
  • For what have I forgiven myself?
  • How may I accept that my recovery is the living amend I make to myself?
………………………………………………………………………..

IV Take Step 9 – Make the amends for this day.
We take Step 9 in paragraph 3 on page 76.
We go out to our fellows and repair the damage done in the past. (76: 3)

We make our Step 9 amends while proceeding with Step 10, Step 11, and Step 12 on a daily basis.
Mark taking Step 9 in the manner that your group sees fit.

pp. 87-88

http://www.stepsbybigbook.net/
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply