Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > 12 Steps and 12 Traditions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

12 Steps and 12 Traditions Information and Discussions related to the 12 Steps and The 12 Traditions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

SESSION 6

STEP 2 We Agnostics

Step 2 Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
Willing to believe…cornerstone [of a] spiritual structure. (47: 2)

Step 2 written inventory
Take Step 2

I ON YOUR OWN: STUDY – What did the Big Book authors say?

• READ ReadChapter 4, We Agnostics and Appendix II. Many will read Step 2 in the 12&12.

• WRITE Write about your reflections on the chapter. Spirituality is taking the focus off of us, being more considerate of others, and awakening to a life already connected to a higher power. You may want to consider these questions:
      • What is my understanding of being restored?
      • How can I see a higher power working in my life?
      • What characteristics does my higher power NOT have?
      • What characteristics DOES my higher power have? This is sufficient to begin.

• TALK Call your sponsor and other group members to discuss your thoughts on the chapter.

• PRACTICE DAILY MEDITATION / PRAYER

II WITH THE GROUP: PRACTICE – What does the Big Book say to me about my practice of Step 2?
Step 2 reminds us that it is crazy to think we needed to be in control. Consider reading portions of the chapter in the group and sharing your writings with the group. Perhaps some may share their experiences/understandings of higher power.

Points of Focus and Reflection (Consider pp. 44: 1,3; 45: 1,2,3; 47: 1; 52: 1,2,3; 567-8)
1.) Am I willing?
  • Can I believe that other alcoholics have found peace of mind through this process?
  • What, precisely and in detail, have I worshipped? (54: 1)
  • What, exactly, have I experienced? (55: 2-3)
  • Am I willing to consider that I am not at the core of everything (good or bad), and hence there may be a power greater than any one of us?
  • Was I insane or crazy to believe the lies the alcohol told me?
2.) My Problem
  • What do these definitions of alcoholism mean to me?:
    • when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quitentirely
    • when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take. (44: 1)
  • If insanity is a loss of perspective and proportion (5: 5; 37: 1), how is this like denial, dishonesty, or lack of humility?
  • In what areas of my life do I need sanity now?
  • In what ways am I addicted to my painful and insane ways of thinking and reacting?

3.) My Solution
  • How do I react when the authors tell me that we must find a spiritual basis in life – or else? (44: 3) In what ways am I spiritual?
  • What does it mean: the Big Book’s main objectis to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem? (45: 2)

4.) My Own Conception of a Higher Power
  • What do the termsagnostic,’ ‘we came to believe’ and ‘restore us to sanity’ mean to me? (See 55: 1-4, 57: 0)
  • How does my childhood training about God affect my life and recovery today? (45: 3)
  • What does it mean when the authors of the Big Book say, When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God? This applies, too, to other spiritual expressions…. What [do] they mean to you? (47: 1)
  • What does work mean, as in, Is not our age characterized by the ease with which we discard old ideas for new,…throw away the theory or gadget which does not work for something new which does? (52: 1)
  • What works and does not work in my life to give me serenity and peace of mind?
  • For me, how is it that, Our ideas did not work. But the God idea did? (52: 3)

III DAILY PRACTICE OF STEP 2 PRINCIPLES
  • How may I know that help is available, that I am not entirely alone?
  • How may I stop relying on my own thinking and begin to ask for help today?
  • Have I sought help from my sponsor, gone to meetings, and reached out to other recovering alcoholics? What were the results?
  • May I find a sign of a higher power in the support I receive from the fellowship?
……………………………………………………………………………
IV TAKE STEP 2 We take Step 2 in the second paragraph of page 47.
Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself? (47: 2)
When we assent, then according to the Big Book and under the conditions of this day, we take Step 2. Remember that in working Step 2 for today, and all the Steps, your reasonable best is always more than good enough. Some groups mark taking Step 2 by holding hands and reciting the Step.

pp. 26-27
http://www.stepsbybigbook.net/
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply