Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #106
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Saturday, JULY 1

From the book: Food for Thought

Saying No

There are times when all of us find it difficult to say no. Even though we realize intellectually that we cannot have and do everything, we have trouble saying no to the foods, activities, and people that are not good for us.

Abstaining means saying "No, thank you" when offered something not on our food plan. We may think that we are afraid of hurting someone else's feelings by our refusal, but usually it is our own compulsive desire that prevents us from giving a firm no. Our sanity and health are more important than pleasing whoever is offering what we should not have.

As we work the program, we become more aware of the people and activities that use up our energies unnecessarily. Avoiding them gives us more time and strength for what means most to us. Learning when and how to say no is a very important part of our recovery. Most often, the person we need to say no to is ourself.

I pray for the strength to say no to what is not good for me.
God and I are still working on this. Eating Sweet and Salty popcorn as I am posting.

Be sure your sins will find you out.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #107
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Wednesday, JULY5

Ignore the Craving

Old habits die hard, and for a long time we may experience our old craving for that "small," compulsive bite. The craving will not hurt us, and eventually it will pass if we ignore it. If we give in to the craving, it does not go away but becomes stronger. To feed the craving is to pour gasoline on a fire.

When we experience the craving for unnecessary food, we need to find something else to occupy our attention. If possible, we should physically remove ourselves from the tempting situation. If that is impossible, we need to ask our Higher Power for the strength to remain abstinent and to ignore the demands of our over blown appetite. God never allows us to be tempted beyond our ability to endure. He is always here to support us when we turn and ask for help.

May I listen to You and ignore harmful cravings.
As the slogan says, "This too shall pass." I think I heard that if we don't feed into the cravings, acknowledge and let them be, they will pass in about 10 min., maybe faster if we turn the all over to our Higher Power.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:45 AM   #108
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Monday, JULY 10

A Progressive Illness

It is the experience of recovering compulsive overeaters that the illness is progressive. The disease does not get better; it gets worse. Even while we abstain, the illness progresses. If we were to break our abstinence, we would find that we had even less control over our eating than before.

Continued abstinence is our only means of health and sanity. We well remember the misery and despair that we felt when we were overeating, and we do not want to feel that way again. Abstaining from one compulsive bite is a small price to pay for health and sanity.

When we find ourselves thinking thoughts, which in the past have preceded loss of control, we need to realize the great danger that lies in a relapse. The OA program has saved us from the destruction of compulsive overeating, but our disease is still alive. Our program needs to be foremost in our minds every day if we are to continue recovering.

Do not let me forget my illness.
We forget that our disease is progressive, when we slip, we are right back to where we were before or find ourselves worse than we had been and had become quite glutinous. My problem is that I don't eat enough. It is still the thinking behind the eating, the same as it was with my drinking, my pill addiction, and quitting cigarettes.

It is all a disease that leads to the same soul sickness. I can't, my God can, just for today, I choose to let Him.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #109
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Friday, JULY 14

Energize, Don't Tranquilize

Food is nourishment for our bodies, not a drug. When we overeat, we sap our energy and dull our responses. Too much food makes us lazy and lethargic. We should eat for energy, not oblivion.

If we have been using food as a narcotic to temporarily deaden the pain of living, then we need to learn other ways to cope. Much of our pain is needless, brought on by egocentric fears and demands. If we accept the fact that we cannot change another person's behavior, then we will not hurt ourselves by anger at what that person does.

At the same time, we will learn to remove ourselves from people and situations, which cause us unnecessary pain. We do not have to be martyrs! Abstinence gives us the energy to make positive changes.

A certain amount of pain, both physical and emotional, is unavoidable. Often, it accompanies growth. To tranquilize ourselves with food is to impede growth.

May I remember to eat for energy instead of oblivion.
They often say, it isn't always about what you eat, but what is eating you. We eat to stuff our feelings, often looking for comfort when in chaotic situations and it helps us to stuff our feelings about things we do not want to address.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #110
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Sunday, JULY 16

Hard Right or Easy Wrong?

We are constantly faced with choices, and often we are tempted to follow the way of least resistance. In our dealings with others and ourselves it is usually easier to say yes than no, but yes is not always the best answer. If we are too permissive, we become lax and ineffective.

The problem with taking the easy way is that it usually ends up being harder in the long run. If we do not control our eating, we will have all of the problems of obesity. If we do not limit our spending, we will eventually lack funds for what we need. If we do not follow moral and ethical principles, our lives become chaotic and we live in constant fear and tension.

Although choosing the hard right is difficult, it is by exercising our ethical muscles that we become strong and gain self-respect.

By Your grace, may I make the right choices.
Have always looked at myself at 'fat' and my son says, "You are not fat Mom." I was comparing, instead of identifying. I started looking around and found a lot of obese women, but the fact for me is, "Am I at my healthy weight." The answer was no. I am not as young as I use to be. Carrying a lot of weight around is not healthy, especially now that my heart is weak. I don't plan to diet, but I am going to try to make healthy choice.

I have to turn my thinking over to my Higher Power.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #111
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Thursday, JULY 20

Turning Toward the Light

Plants, as they grow, automatically turn toward the light. People can choose between light or darkness. The OA program is available to us, but we may choose whether or not we will follow it. Our Higher Power is also available to us, if we choose to seek His will.

Before we found OA, we wandered around in the darkness of compulsive overeating. Now that we see glimmers of light, we need to turn ourselves in the direction from which the light is coming. Working the program requires taking the time and effort to change our routine. The light is here, but we need to turn away from darkness and open ourselves to it.

As we examine ourselves in the light that comes from our Higher Power through OA, we begin to see more clearly where we should make changes and how we may find health and peace.

Grant us grace to turn toward Your light.
I can't, my God can.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:47 AM   #112
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Tuesday, JULY 25

Gifts

The OA program is a gift to us from our Higher Power. Without it, we would still be bogged down in compulsive overeating with no solution in sight. Our fellowship gives us the hope and love we need to sort ourselves out and begin to live a new life.

Recovery through abstinence is the gift, which we are offered every day. In order to receive it, we need to be sincere and earnest in our efforts to work the program. We can count on God's support if we are willing to go to any lengths to stop eating compulsively.

With gratitude for these gifts from our Higher Power, we are able to give back what has come to us. We share our program and give our time and abilities where we see a need that we can fill. The more we give, the more we receive. God's abundance is inexhaustible.

We thank You for Your gifts.
It is nice to be affirmed with a reading, which I see after I type my post in the Topic of the Week.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #113
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Living Is a Privilege

When we were overeating, how often did we drag ourselves out of bed wondering how we were going to make it through the day? Many of us felt that life was treating us unfairly, and we blamed those around us for our misery. We may have thought we believed in a Power greater than ourselves, but we were unable to apply the belief so that it made a difference in the way we were living. Trying to manage our own life pushed us further and further into despair.

The OA program shows us how to commit our will and our life to the management of God. We stop trying to "go it alone," and we listen for His direction. By the grace of our Higher Power, we abstain from compulsive overeating one day at a time, and we walk a new way of humility and obedience.

Little by little, we recover in mind and body, and we no longer feel crushed by an uncaring fate. We accept each day as a gift from the hand of God, and we live it to the best of our ability.

Thank You for the privilege of living and abstaining today.
Like it says, I could go into the poor mes today, but in truth, I am moving much better than I though I would be able to and I am not hurting as much as I thought I would. When you look at things from a point of gratitude, things don't seem so bad.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #114
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Tuesday, AUGUST 1

Promptings

If we are listening, we will hear promptings from the inner voice. Often they are suggestions for small acts of kindness and love. Sometimes they are urgings to do a difficult deed in order to correct a wrong or to apologize for a mistake. Whatever the prompting, we are free to ignore it or act on it.

Often, ignoring the prompting would appear to be the easiest course. Why should we go out of our way to help someone else, particularly if that person is a stranger? Apologies are frequently embarrassing and deflate our pride. Reaching out to someone with love makes us vulnerable to rejection, and we fear exposure.

In the long run, to ignore the promptings of our inner voice is to commit spiritual suicide. These promptings are intended for our growth, and if we do not grow in love, we will atrophy and decay. Through the Twelve Steps, our Higher Power leads us to do many things, which we would prefer to avoid, but which ensure our recovery.

I pray for willingness to follow the promptings of the inner voice.
This reminds me of my co-sponsor who said, "Go within, you have the answers. At the time, I didn't know what she meant. It took practice and a lot of believing and trusting myself, that those words were God given.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:36 AM   #115
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Food For Thought

Planting Seeds

The closer we walk with our Higher Power, the more effective our Twelfth Step work is. We always remember that the best thing we can do for other compulsive overeaters is to maintain our own abstinence. Beyond that, we are given opportunities to spread the word as we go about our daily activities.

Mentioning what OA is doing for us may open the door to a new life for one of our friends. It may be a casual acquaintance or even a stranger who needs to hear about the program. Our instincts can guide us as to the best time and place to share news of our recovery.

Often, we may not know what effect, if any; our witness has had on another person. We may be annoyed if we are unable to “sell” the program to someone we think should have it. The results of our Twelfth Step work are in the hands of our Higher Power, and positive effects may show up long after we have planted a seed.

Show me where I may plant seeds of recovery.
Like this. We never know where the seeds will take root. All we have to do is plant them and leave them up to the Universe as to how they will grow.

You never know when a word will be heard. The other day I said to a taxi driver, "I am tired and I still have a meeting to go to. He said, "What kind of meeting." I said a NA meeting, next month I will be clean and sober for 26 years. Hopefully that see will be taken under perusal and he will remember if and when he needs it for himself or passes it on to someone else.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 PM   #116
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Tuesday. AUG 15

Inner Tigers

What we fear facing and dealing with is often inside. We may transfer our fear and irritation to external circumstances and the people around us, when what we need to do is look inside. Usually, we are our own worst enemy.

Our fears go back to a time when we were very young and relatively helpless. We may still be afraid of rejection, of being inferior, of being hurt with no one to take care of us. We may have an irrational fear of economic insecurity, which comes from a time when we were aware of financial problems but were too young to understand them.

Whether our inner tigers are real or made out of paper, we need to face them instead of eating to appease them. As we recover from compulsive overeating, many of the fears, which we had tried to bury with food, come to consciousness. With the Power greater than ourselves, we are able to tame the inner tigers.

Secure in Your care, may I not fear self-discovery.
Have to love the last line. That is why they say a fearless moral inventory. We find out who we are and what we are made up of, some good, some not so good, and we list them all. How can we know what to change if we don't know it is there? My God is with me. He is my rock and my comfort. The Bible says a lot of nice things.

Don't fear life, llive it in a clean and spiritual way.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #117
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Food For Thought

Stop Overeating, Start Living

Physical abstinence is just the beginning of the new life OA offers to us. When our Higher Power controls our life, we become free of the mental obsession with food. Then we are able to get down to the business of living, which we avoided with our illness.

Rather than reaching out with both hands to grab and hold on to all we can get, we begin to think in terms of giving and serving. We may start by sharing what OA has done for us with newcomers to the program. It is the newcomer who is our reminder of who we were and where we came from.

We find that though we can never eat spontaneously, we can live much more spontaneously than before. Because we feel less guilt and fear, we can experience the joy of acting from the center of our being. Knowing that our Higher Power is in control, we have trust and faith that the results of our actions will be okay. Each day becomes less of a trial and more of an opportunity.

Today, may I experience the spontaneity that comes with Your control.
Like this, "Your control" is much better to my way of thinking and saying "I can control myself." Control is an illusion that helped me to stay in my denial for years. If you have to control it, it is already out of control. Only through my Higher Power, who empowers me to do what I need to do for myself, one day at a time.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #118
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default God Is Here

Quote:
September 17

Food For Thought

God Is Here

The Power, which restores us to sanity, is not something remote and abstract, which we must search for by reading books and performing great feats. Our Higher Power is with us constantly and is involved in the minute details of every day. We do not have to wait and work to become acceptable to God. He accepts us now, just as we are.

What gets in the way of our awareness of God is self. If we are narrowly focused on the concerns of ego and self-will, we ignore the presence of a Higher Power. Then we become weak and confused in our aloneness.

To be aware of the presence of God in our lives every day, all we need is the willingness to be open to Him. We find that He is indeed “closer than breathing and nearer than hands and feet.” What we may have spent years searching for or denying turns out to be the ground of our existence and the Power that sustains us every minute.

Increase my awareness of You, I pray.
Like this. Awareness does make a big difference, doesn't mean I always do something about it, but I change things more quickly when I have that awareness.

When I remember to bring my God into today, I must not forget he is there.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #119
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
September 24

Food For Thought

Accepting Where We Are

Wherever we are when we come to this program is where we begin. Some of us have further to go along the road to self-actualization than others. No one of us ever arrives in this life. There is always more work to be done.

Believing that our Higher Power has a plan for each of us, we accept the place where He has put us right now. We do not expect to stay in this place, but it is a necessary part of our growth and development. We cannot move on until we understand where we are now and how we got here.

Our Fourth Step inventory gives us an opportunity to examine past actions, which have led to our current situation. We may not like what we discover, but an honest appraisal of our weaknesses and faults as well as our strengths is preparation for constructive change. Accepting where we are frees us from morbid obsession with the past and enables us to move on into the future.

May I accept where I am as the best place for me to be today.
Was sharing with a person yesterday about how life comes full circle and in that circle are many other circles. Each lesson is a circle, and we often need to determine where we are on that circle. Are we just beginning, finished healing childhood hurts and old tapes, are we learning to walk our talk, or are we ready to share our new found knowledge with others.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #120
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Saturday, OCT 7

Staying with God

God never forsakes us; we forsake Him. We become so involved in our concerns and activities that we forget to open our eyes and our hearts to His presence. We may be physically abstinent, but still allow food to have the most important place in our lives. If our Higher Power is not at the center of our lives, we will find it difficult (if not impossible) to be emotionally abstinent.

Emotional binges occur when we wander away from our Higher Power into self-centered preoccupation. Without His control, we lose our serenity. There will always be cause of conflict and frustration in our daily lives. How we handle these situations depends on our spiritual condition.

By ourselves, we cannot manage our own lives. Our behavior can be insane. It is through the Power greater than ourselves that we are led into order, sanity, and recovery. To stay with this Power is our salvation.

May we not forsake You.
My life is unmanageable, when managed by me.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply