Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Food for Thought
Sept. 24

Accepting Where We Are

Wherever we are when we come to this program is where we begin. Some of us have further to go along the road to self-actualization than others. No one of us ever arrives in this life. There is always more work to be done.

Believing that our Higher Power has a plan for each of us, we accept the place where He has put us right now. We do not expect to stay in this place, but it is a necessary part of our growth and development. We cannot move on until we understand where we are now and how we got here.

Our Fourth Step inventory gives us an opportunity to examine past actions, which have led to our current situation. We may not like what we discover, but an honest appraisal of our weaknesses and faults as well as our strengths is preparation for constructive change. Accepting where we are frees us from morbid obsession with the past and enables us to move on into the future.

May I accept where I am as the best place for me to be today.
It is not odd, it is God speaking to me today. I did the Just for Today post a few minutes ago, and here is a message on acceptance.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
OCT1

From the book: Food for Thought

Accent on the Present

When we were obsessed with food, we were often obsessed with the past as well. We would rehash old hurts and resentments, old fears and desires. Our dreams, along with our waking hours, may have been filled with people from our past. Such preoccupation with the past prevented us from focusing on the present.

By realizing that compulsive overeating is a nonstop trip back to the hurts of the past, we become more determined to maintain abstinence. If we are to be alive in the present, we need to let go of the past. What is over is over and cannot be replayed except in our minds.

What we can do is turn our memories over to our Higher Power for healing. The creative Spirit, which is not bound by time, can take away old hurts and resentments. Then we are free to deal with the present and concentrate on doing God's will for us now, today. Living in the present keeps us in touch with the Power, which restores us to sanity.

May I remember that You are always now.
When I first looked at this, I thought acceptance on the present. Acceptance is the key for me. I need to acccept that it is one day at a time. It is about now, I can't change the past, and if I focus on the moment, tomorrow never comes, it is always in today.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Being Before Doing

Quote:
OCT. 5

Being Before Doing

What we are comes before what we do. In order to produce good fruit, the tree has to be a good tree. If we are not whole, integrated, and in touch with our Higher Power, and ourselves the actions that we take will not be satisfying.

For us compulsive overeaters, being abstinent is more important than anything we do. When we are abstinent, all things are possible. We still have to make choices, deal with frustration and conflict, and accept some defeats, but we are coping with reality rather than escaping.

The best things that we do are those, which our Higher Power does through us. Our role is to be ready and available, a sharpened tool which He may use. Often we do not see the ultimate results of our actions. We trust that what we do will be acceptable and according to His will.

May I be what You intend.
Loved the title. My sponsor always said, "Examine your motives and your intent. Are they God's Will for you?

It is okay to just be. When we do that, we can be open to our God's Will. If I am already doing, I may be acting out in my old patterns and behaviours and missing out on His Greater Plan.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sept. 27

We Admit

Three of the Twelve Steps have to do with admitting. We admit that we are powerless over food and cannot manage our own lives; we admit our wrongs to God, ourselves, and another person; we continue to take inventory and admit when we are wrong.

Out of honest admission of our weakness comes strength. We are able to see ourselves realistically and with clarity. When we are humble enough to admit our wrongs, we get rid of the false front we had tried to maintain. This frees us to be who we are, without pretense.

When we admit our faults, we are cleansed. We no longer have to try to hide and cover up our weaknesses and mistakes. Instead of pretending to be perfect, we can be human and satisfied with progress.

We admit that we have a progressive disease, and we learn how to control it. We do not pretend to ourselves or others that we can eat like everyone else, because we are compulsive overeaters. We cannot manage our own lives, but there is One who can.

I admit that I am powerless, and I am grateful for Your Power in my life.
We can do what I can't do alone!

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Sanity

Once, a long time ago, I was able to eat a small amount of extra food between meals and then stop. I enjoyed it very much. Over the years, that small amount became more and more. Somewhere along the line, I crossed the boundary of rational eating and moved into an area of insane bingeing.

Now, when the old urge comes for a small amount of extra food, I need to remember that I am incapable of stopping after a reasonable amount. For me, the first compulsive bite is now the point of no return. Once I take it, I cross immediately into insanity.

How do I remember? I need protection against the arrogant, willful delusion that "This time I will be able to handle it; this time I will get away with cheating just a little bit." How can I protect myself?

Step One says that we are powerless over food. From sad experience, I know this to be a fact. Step Two says that we "came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity." My protection comes from this Higher Power.

Keep me sane, Lord.
Didn't think I was insane, so how can I want to be kept sane! LOL! When reality sunk in, I realized I was off the wall. It is a disease of perception, what ever your drug of choice is in today. The substance is but a symptom of my dis-ease, the problem is me.

Like this, it reminded me that my drug of choice is always more. I have that addictiver personality, that thankfully has been healed. There are times, I can't stop at one, but for the most part, I can eat 1/4 or 1/2 bag of potato chips. Can't say the same for a donut. I can do it when it comes to a dark chocolate candy bar, especially if it is a big one and yet give me a box of chocolates and my mind says, "They are only small."

It is the thinking behind the eating that can be insane. It is following the thoughts with action that causes me trouble.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Energize, Don't Tranquilize

Food is nourishment for our bodies, not a drug. When we overeat, we sap our energy and dull our responses. Too much food makes us lazy and lethargic. We should eat for energy, not oblivion.

If we have been using food as a narcotic to temporarily deaden the pain of living, then we need to learn other ways to cope. Much of our pain is needless, brought on by egocentric fears and demands. If we accept the fact that we cannot change another person's behavior, then we will not hurt ourselves by anger at what that person does.

At the same time, we will learn to remove ourselves from people and situations, which cause us unnecessary pain. We do not have to be martyrs! Abstinence gives us the energy to make positive changes.

A certain amount of pain, both physical and emotional, is unavoidable. Often, it accompanies growth. To tranquilize ourselves with food is to impede growth.

May I remember to eat for energy instead of oblivion.
This is something I tend to forget about. I wonder why I am tired and then I look at the amount of food I had eaten that day. I also have to remember that I need spiritual food too.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:

Food Is Not Love

With our heads, we know that food is not the same thing as love. When this fact sinks into our emotions, we are released from our obsession with food. In order to reach this point of emotional development, we need to abstain physically from compulsive overeating. As long as we are physically addicted to refined sugars and starches and binge foods, we do not have the perspective necessary to move away from our emotional attachment to these foods.

It is easy for babies and children to confuse food with love. As they mature, they learn to discriminate between the two. If we are compulsive overeaters, we need the OA program and a spiritual awakening to bring clarity to our confusion. We have much emotional and spiritual growing up to do.

If our early needs for love was not satisfied, no amount of food will compensate. It is by giving love that we are able to fill our inner emptiness, and it is through our Higher Power that we are healed and made able to love.

May we remember in our hearts that food is not love.
Loved this reading, it is not today's, but it spoke to me. How many times I stuffed feelings with food. I would say, "I really love this and proceed to pig out." It was more like, "I love what this does for me." Our greatest friend became our worst enemy.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:45 AM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:

Waiting and Acting

Do you seem to have spent much of your life waiting for something? Waiting for Santa Claus, waiting to grow up, waiting to get married, waiting for children, a better job, etc., etc. When we join OA, we wait for the time when we will be thin, thinking that surely then everything will be as we want it to be.

It is important that we begin to live more fully now, rather than projecting our satisfaction into an indefinite future. Rather than waiting for tomorrow, let's obey our inner voice today. Rather than reaching for another bite that we do not need, let's enjoy the measured meal that we have in front of us. Instead of waiting to be thin, let's become more active now, even if all we do is go for a walk around the block.

There are some things that require patient waiting. But there are other things which we need to make happen now by taking action.

Lord, grant me the wisdom to know when to wait and when to act.
This is a good one for me in today. So many times I put my life on hold for others. For too many years, I lived my life through others. For so many years I focused on others and worried about what they would say or do if I did act and lived in fear. In today, I try to live in faith and put the fear aside and do what is good for me in today.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sunday, November 23, 2014

Turning On

Before OA, many of us were in a self-centered rut. We had little enthusiasm for anything except food, and food proved to be a false friend. When we come to OA and admit that we are powerless over food, we can turn on to a Power greater than ourselves.

Just as we do not need to understand the complexities of electricity in order to benefit from it, we do not need to understand everything about God in order to receive His power. Taking the Twelve Steps turns us on to a new way of life, motivated by faith in a Higher Power.

Turning on to this Power means that we are no longer alone. We do not have to try to run our lives by ourselves. God can and will relieve us of our obsession with food and our obsession with self. He gives us strength and enthusiasm for the living of our daily lives. Through surrender, we become recipients of the Power of the universe.

Take away the blindness that prevents us from turning on to Your power.
Surrender isn't giving up, it is giving over to our Higher Power.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:40 AM   #10
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

next book
Emotional Distress

In the past, we translated emotional distress into physical hunger. Physical hunger was something we could deal with when emotional pain was too much for us. The reason our hunger was not satisfied by any amount of food was that the hunger was really distressed emotion.

If as children we were unable to recognize and express our distress, we buried it. As adults, we may still have ignored painful feelings and tried to make them go away with quantities of food and drink. Eventually, we became so dishonest with ourselves that we did not know what it was we really felt. We may have pretended for so long that everything was fine that we believed it. The telltale sign that all was not fine was our compulsive overeating behavior.

When we abstain, we sometimes fear that we will be overwhelmed with the emotional pain that is no longer buried with food. By turning this distress over to our Higher Power, we are able to survive it and learn from it.

I give You the pain that I cannot handle.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dec. 8

Decisions About Food

We compulsive overeaters often find it extremely difficult to make decisions about food. We wonder if we are getting enough or too much, if we are eating the right kind of food, if we will be hungry tomorrow. The process of planning our three meals a day can be agonizing if we cannot decide which foods to choose.

Here is where a food sponsor can give us the assistance and support we need. Since someone who has traveled the road before us will be informed of our menus, we can relax and know that our decisions will be checked by an objective listener. As long as the choices we make fall under the food plan, which we have determined to follow, they will be good decisions.

Having written down our food plan for the day and having given it to our sponsor, we do not need to make any further decisions about food today. Recognizing that our obsessive worry about food is an illness, we will turn off further deliberations and work our program

Today I will make only those decisions about food that are necessary to my program.
We don't have to travel this journey alone.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:05 AM   #12
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dec. 12

Meal by Meal

We abstain from compulsive overeating day-by-day and meal-by-meal. After breakfast, we do not worry about how we will feel at dinnertime. After breakfast we know that we have had an abstinent meal and that we can forget about food until it is time for lunch. If we allow ourselves to start thinking about what we will have for the next meal, and the meal after that, we turn on our obsession.

The beauty of abstinence is that it permits us to get from one meal to the next without being constantly preoccupied with food. By abstaining from refined sugars and carbohydrates and our individual binge foods, we no longer have to fight the craving for more. By working the Twelve Steps, we fill our minds with nourishing thoughts, which drive out our former obsession with food.

This meal, which I have planned, is the only one that concerns me now. I do not need to think about other meals or other foods. I will enjoy this meal, and then I will walk away from food into the rest of my life.

Keep me abstinent, meal-by-meal.
Like this, it reminds me that I need food for the body, mind, and spirit to become whole.

Food is a drug. It keeps telling me "MORE!"

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dec. 16

Getting Well

Our recovery is always in process; it is never completed. If we think for a minute that we have conquered our disease and no longer have to consider it that is the time when we are in danger of slipping. Getting well is what we will be doing for the rest of our lives. Fortunately, we have guidelines and a fellowship to support us.

We are not required to think about our disease twenty-four hours a day. We do need to remember it when thoughts of food and eating arise. We also need to remember it when we find ourselves thinking the kind of thoughts or feeling the moods, which led to binges in the past.

Getting well is an adventure. We have moved out of the repetitious rut of past habits and are reaching into the unknown. There are times when we are anxious and fearful that we will not be able to make it. We are not alone. There is a Higher Power that guides us and an organization of friends who sustain us. The process of getting well is a privilege and a gift.

Thank You for the process of getting well.
Good reminder that we are sick people trying to get well, not bad people trying to get good.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #14
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dec. 20

A No Fault Illness

Formerly, we may have blamed our parents, a disappointment in love, economic insecurity, or a million other factors for our addiction to compulsive overeating. We probably spent much time and energy trying to figure out why we overate.

When we get honest with ourselves, we assume the responsibility for our own actions, instead of trying to shift it somewhere else. Many of us come to believe that we would be compulsive overeaters no matter what the circumstances of our lives. As we recover, we see that the why of our illness is unanswerable and unimportant. What counts is how we control it.

We do not continue to berate ourselves for having this illness, or consider ourselves physically, morally, or spiritually inferior for having contracted it. Blaming ourselves is as useless as blaming someone else. We accept the fact that through no one's fault we have the disease of compulsive overeating. Then we get on with the business of learning to control this illness with the help of our Higher Power and the OA program.

I blame no one for my illness.
For many years, I didn't realize that I had an eating disorder. I used food to deal with my emotions. For many years I blamed my dad for my alcoholism. I blamed my mother for many things, mostly not being able to be there for me. It wasn't until I was in recovery that I could see where she was coming from.

In today, I am sure she had Fibromyalgia. It wasn't even a thought when she died at the age of 40 as a result of being overweight. I was 21, so that was 53 years ago. How could she know what she had never been taught. How could she know, when her doctor didn't know?

I am given freedom of choice. It is up to me if I take that next bite, like I am doing now. I just made some chocolate chip cookies and I decided to have #3. What makes it worse, is the fact that they turned out to be big cookies. Not good for a diabetic, not good for someone who thinks 'more' when she eats sweets.

Just for today, I will pray to my God to help me with my thinking. It is the thinking that leads me to that next one or an attitude of, "What will more one do, I have already had two." This is what AA means by an attitude adjustment, sufficient to aid recovery, one day at a time.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #15
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dec. 25

Confidence

Our biggest problem was the inability to stop eating compulsively and the resultant obesity. This problem is never solved permanently, but it is overcome on a day-to-day basis. As we succeed in abstaining from compulsive overeating, we grow in confidence. Since by working the program we solve our biggest problem every day, we become confident that we can solve other problems as well.

Confidence is trust that our Higher Power and OA will not let us down. Confidence is the knowledge that however tough life gets, we have tools and resources for dealing with it. Confidence believes in ourselves as children of God and people of value. Confidence is the willingness to give what we have, with the faith that our gifts are needed and acceptable.

When we have confidence in our Higher Power and in ourselves, we are willing to try even though we may fail. If we fail, we are willing to try again. Since our will and our lives are turned over to God, as we understand Him, we have confidence that everything eventually works out for good.

You are the source of confidence.
Through the program, I learned to trust my Higher Power. Through my connection to my Higher Power, I learned to trust myself. The only way I could do that was to make a decision to put my life into the Care of my God each day.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply