Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08-16-2022, 06:13 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 16

Stress In The Family Prayer

Lord, there is such a lot of stress in our family and I just pray that it would simply stop. It seems that never a day goes past without someone getting stressed out, and we are all getting so weary and worn out.

Please help our family, to get on with each other and I do pray that the build up of stress and tension would stop, and that we start to live with each other in the way that You meant families to live.

Lord, I love my family and I know that it is not good for any of us to be in this constant state of pressure and nervous tension. Give me wisdom, I pray, to know how to deal with this in the future and to know what to do and to say, or what not to say, to help the rest of the family release their stress, so that we may learn to live together in harmony.

Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking, most of us had no real faith in anything.

We may have said that we believe in God, but we didn't act as though we did. We never honestly asked God to help us and we never really accepted His help. To us, faith looked like helplessness. But when we came into A.A., we began to have faith in God. And we found out that faith gave us the strength we needed to overcome drinking.

So ............

Have I learned that there is strength in faith?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Relationships

We need to remember that relationships are made up of people---people who are strong, but also fragile.

We don't break easily, but we do break. We need to be aware of how fragile relationships are. Don't say something that will hurt others even if it's honest. It's meant to be honest with someone, without showing that you care for the person's feelings. We can learn to be honest without being cruel. The backbone of any relationship is this: we need to honor the rules and agreements we make. If we promise to be faithful to someone, we follow this rule. And we need to trust the other person to do the same. When we see that our agreements don't work, we need to go to that person and talk about them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peace of Mind

AA has taught me that I will have peace of mind in exact proportion to the peace of mind I bring into the lives of other people, and it has taught me the true meaning of the admonition "happy are ye who know these things and do them." For the only problems I have now are those I create when I break out in a rash of self-will.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 550-551

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Worrying does not take away tomorrow’s troubles, it takes away today’s peace.” ~ Unknown A.A.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2022, 06:14 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 17

Gratitude Prayer for Happiness

Thank you, Lord, for all of your blessings in my life.
Thank you for surrounding me with wonderful friends, family members, and neighbors.
Thank you for giving us the gift of your beautiful world and all the skies, mountains, and lakes.
Thank you for the thrill of celebrations and the enrichment of music.
Thank you for all of the animals and creatures that you made.
When I am down or depressed, please remind me of all of the many reasons why I should be thankful and guide my spirit toward your happiness.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcohol is poison to the alcoholic.

Poison is not too strong a word, because alcoholism leads eventually to the death of the alcoholic. It may be a quick death or a slow death. When we go by package stores and see various kinds of liquor all dressed up in fancy packages to make it look attractive, we should always make it a point to say to ourselves, so that we'll never forget it: That stuff's poison to me. And it is. Alcohol poisoned our lives for a long time.

So ............

Do I know that since I am an alcoholic all liquor is poison to me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Changing

Deep inside, we all know that we're changing. It started when we took Step One. We learned and accepted something new about ourselves. That changed us, just a little. We no longer wanted to live as alcoholics. That meant we had to change and to learn to live sober. It's been nonstop ever since: learn about ourselves, change a little, learn about ourselves, change a little more, and so on. All we know is that each step of learning and changing makes life better. How long can it keep getting better? As long as we keep learning to know ourselves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ego

I am still arrogant, egocentric, self-righteous, with no humility, even phony at times, but I'm trying to be a better person and help my fellowman.
Guess I'll never be a saint, but whatever I am, I want to be sober and in AA.
The word "alcoholic" does not turn me off any more; in fact, it is music to my ears when it applies to me.

Experience, Strength and Hope Page 382

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Today I Will Remember: The Steps are a road, not a resting place." ~ Danielle Steel
Old 08-18-2022, 05:49 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 18

Grace For Today Prayer

Lord,
Give me the grace for today.
Before me, the day looms with great possibilities and even greater challenges.
I put it all in your hands.
Order my day and order my life.
Help me to embrace every challenge, to be open to all you have to give and to see all as opportunity.
One moment at a time. One person at a time. One gift at a time.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking, most of us never thought of helping others.

We liked to buy drinks for people, because that made us feel like big shots. But we only used others for our own pleasure. To really go out and try to help somebody who needed help never occurred to us. To us, helping others looked like a sucker's game. But when we came into A.A., we began to try to help others. And we found out that helping others made us happy and also helped us to stay sober.

So ............

Have I learned that there is happiness in helping others?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Gossip

Gossip can kill the trust in a Twelve Step program. We all need to feel safe when we share our personal lives with others. We need to know our private business won't spread around.
We can do two things to help keep the trust in our groups, and in the rest of our lives too. First, don't gossip. Second, don't listen to gossip about others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carrying the Message

The wonderful energy the Twelfth Step releases, by which it carries our message to the next suffering alcoholic and finally translates the Twelve Steps into action upon all our affairs, is the payoff, the magnificent reality of A.A.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 109

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When you do nothing, you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved, you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better.” ~ Pauline R. Kezer
Old 08-19-2022, 04:22 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 19

Prayer Against Depression

Lord,
Please strengthen our hearts, and remind us to encourage one another when the troubles of life start to overwhelm us.
Please guard our hearts from sadness and depression.
Give us the strength to rise up each day and fight against the struggles which seek to weigh us down.
Amen

~ John Barnett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Let us live today, as we believe God wants us to live.

Each day will have a new pattern, which we cannot foresee. But we can open each day with a quiet period in which we say a little prayer, asking God to help us through the day. Personal contact with God, as we understand Him, will from day to day bring us nearer to an understanding of His will for us. At the close of the day, we offer Him thanks for another day of sobriety. A full, constructive day has been lived and we are grateful.

So ............

Am I asking God each day for strength and thanking Him each night?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Winners

"Stick with the winners," newcomers are told at Twelve Step meetings. The real message of this statement is to share the attitudes and actions of people who are successful in living sober.
No recovering person can have a successful day while dwelling on ideas that can be harmful. We'll meet people in the course of the day whose attitudes may appall us. We may work with people who are critical, gossipy, or resentful. It's not our duty to correct them or argue with them. We would be wise, however, not to accept what we recognize as wrong thinking.

Winners, in AA terms, are people who seek sobriety first and live up to the principles of the program. Seem them out for help in doing likewise.
I'll try to associate with people who exemplify the highest and best in good attitudes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anonymity

It should be a privilege, even the right, of each member or group to handle anonymity as they wish. .
Each individual will have to decide where he ought to draw the line -- how far he ought to carry the principle in his own affairs, how far he may go in dropping his own anonymity without injury to Alcoholics Anonymous as a whole.

The Language of the Heart Page 15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Just a Quote

"If one asks for success and prepares for failure, he will get the situation he has prepared for." ~ Florence Shinn
Old 08-20-2022, 05:43 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 20

Prayer for Strength

Lord,
At the moment, I’m struggling with life.
My heart is weighed down with anxiety, frustration, anger and doubt.
Please help me turn this over to you.
I can’t fix it. I want to trust you to handle it.
Give me the strength to let go and accept the outcome, whatever it may be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking, we were living an unnatural life physically and mentally.

We were punishing our bodies by loading them with alcohol. We didn't eat enough and we ate the wrong things. We didn't get enough sleep or the right kind of rest. We were ruining ourselves physically. We had an alcoholic obsession and we couldn't imagine life without alcohol. We kept imagining all kinds of crazy things about ourselves and about other people. We were ruining ourselves mentally.

So ............

Since I came into A.A., am I getting better physically and mentally?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Control

Some days we might ask ourselves, Is it worth it? We feel alone. No one seems to care.
Life seems hard. Recovery seems hard. This is when we need to slow down and take a look at what's going on. We're feeling this way because we're off our recovery path. We may be back into wanting people to see things our way. We want control. Remember, all problems are not our problems. All work is not our work. We can't have everything the way we want it. But we can do our part and let go of the rest. Then we can feel better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shared Gift

A.A. is more than a set of principles; it is a society of alcoholics in action. We must carry the message, else we ourselves can wither and those who haven't been given the truth may die.

As Bill Sees It Page 13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Our stories hold unique inspiration for one another.” ~ Lailah Gifty Akita

“Happiness is not so much in having as sharing. We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” ~ Norman MacEwen
Old 08-21-2022, 07:08 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 21

Prayer for Guidance

Dear Lord,
I cannot see the way ahead and at the moment I feel so confused.
So today I ask that your hand would be upon mine.
Please lead me safely through this day.
Guide my heart, my mind and body to navigate the way.
I put my trust in you.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

One of the best things about the A.A. program is the peace of mind and serenity that it can bring us.

In our drinking days, we had no peace of mind or serenity. We had the exact opposite, a kind of turmoil and that "quiet desperation" we knew so well. The turmoil of our drinking days was caused partly by our physical suffering, the terrible hangovers, the cold sweats, the shakes and the jitters. But it was caused even more by our mental suffering, the loneliness, the feeling of inferiority, the lying, and the remorse that every alcoholic understands.

So ............

Have I achieved more peace of mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Helping Out

Do we help our neighbor who is in need? We must help when we see the need, not just when it fits our schedule. In the program, this becomes our goal. We work at helping out. For example, when someone is needed to run the meeting, we offer. We see that the needs of the group are also our needs. We are the group. Over time, the idea of service spreads to the rest of our lives. Maybe we help a family down the street. We start to see that we have something to offer the world; ourselves. We start to see that the needs of the world are also our needs. We are an important part of the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Six Step Program

“He Sold Himself Short”

But he found that there was a Higher Power which had more faith in him than he had in himself. Thus, A.A. was born in Chicago. The day before I was due to go back to Chicago, a Wednesday and Dr. Bob's afternoon off, he had me down to the office and we spent three or four hours formally going through the Six-Step program as it was at that time. The six steps were:
1. Complete deflation.
2. Dependence and guidance from a Higher Power.
3. Moral Inventory.
4. Confession.
5. Restitution.
6. Continued work with other alcoholics.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 266

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

"You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself." ~ Jim Rohn

"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it or learn from it." ~ Rafiki, 'The Lion King

Old 08-22-2022, 03:01 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 22

Good Morning Lord

Good morning, Lord!
Today’s a new day, a chance for a new start.
Yesterday is gone and with it any regrets, mistakes or failures I may have experienced.
It’s a good day to be glad and give thanks, and I do, Lord.
Thank you for today, a new opportunity to love, give, and be all that you want me to be.
Amen

~ Rebecca Barlow Jordan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The A.A. program is a way of life.

It's a way of living and we have to learn to live the program if we're going to stay sober. The twelve steps in the book are like guideposts. They point the direction in which we have to go. But each member of the group has to find his own best way of living the program. We don't all do it exactly alike. Whether by quiet times in the morning, meetings, working with others, or spreading the word, we have to learn to live the program.

So ............

Has A.A. become my regular, natural way of living?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

"Later"

How often have we said this? This trick helps us avoid the tasks of the day. Life is full of tasks--many fun, some boring, others hard. Can I accept the task my Higher Power gives me, easy or hard?

When we used alcohol, we'd avoid tasks, if they became hard for us. We believed we had more control than we really did. We started to believe we could control outcomes. What we really were doing was setting ourselves up for a great fall. We had to face the fact that when our Higher Power had given us a task, we said no, and turned away. Thus, we turned away from the guiding hand of our Higher Power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Complacency

Following the principles laid out in the Big Book has not always been comfortable, nor will I claim perfection.
I have yet to find a place in the Big Book that says, "Now that you have completed the Steps; have a nice life." The program is a plan for a lifetime of daily living. There have been occasions when the temptation to slack off has won. I view each of these as learning opportunities.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 317

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Winning is fun, but those moments that you can touch someone’s life in a very positive way
are better.” ~ Tim Howard

“The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need tomorrow.” ~ Robert Tew
Old 08-23-2022, 06:33 AM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 23

Prayer For Happiness

Lord,
Help me to awake with hope,
To engage with life in all its variety,
To take in the beauty of others' joys,
To touch the souls of those I meet with thankfulness.

Thank you for the amazing jigsaw of life!
What a beautiful picture is made when I place all these pieces together!

Help me to indulge in love
To breathe in the sweetness of intimacy,
To taste the kindness of friendship,
To feel the warmth of embrace.

Free to make my life into a glorious patchwork of thanksgiving
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We can believe that God has a purpose for our lives.

Things will eventually work out as long as we try to live the way we believe He wants us to live. It has been said that we should "wear the world like a loose garment." That means that nothing should seriously upset us because we have a deep, abiding faith that God will always take care of us. To us that means not to be too upset by the surface wrongness of things, but to feel deeply secure in the fundamental goodness and purpose in the universe.

So ............

Do I feel deeply secure?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Selfish

Sometimes we hear that we have a "selfish program." Being "selfish" means that we ask for help when we need it. We only go to places that are safe for us, no matter what others are doing. Being selfish comes to mean safety for us.

Being selfish doesn't mean we act like brats. We must act in ways that show respect and love---for ourselves and for others. Being selfish means, we do what is good for us. What is good for us? First, we have to save our lives by stopping our drinking and drugging. Next, we start working the Steps. We come to know a loving Higher Power. This is how we come to know our true self.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Common Fears in Recovery

These are some of most common fears for people in recovery:

The fear that life will not be enjoyable again (particularly prominent during early sobriety)
Staying sober will require too much effort
Fear of journeying into unknown territory
Fear of facing life challenges without a chemical crutch
Fear of failure or, alternately, success
Financial concerns
Career concerns
Relationships concerns
Fear of death
Fear of ill-health
Fear of loss of a loved one

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy.” ~ Joseph Campbell
Old 08-24-2022, 05:07 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 24

Prayer for Daily Protection

Dear Lord,
Please heal and protect us today from all negativity, hurt, resentment, and evil.
Please help us to avoid selfishness and please help our relationship to grow and strengthen together.
Please help us with all the decisions we need to make in the future and please help us to make these decisions according to your will.
Please protect us from harm.
Please protect us from sickness.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Have I admitted I am an alcoholic?
Have I swallowed my pride and admitted I was different from other drinkers? Have I accepted the fact that I must spend the rest of my life without alcohol? Have I had any more reservations, any idea in the back of my mind that some day I'll be able to drink safely? Am I absolutely honest with myself and with other people? Have I taken an inventory of myself and admitted the wrong I have done? Have I come clean with my friends? Have I tried to make it up to them for the way I have treated them?

So ............

Am I trying to put the 12 Steps into my life daily??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

The Steps

Millions of people are sober and have peace of mind through the Twelve Steps. Like the stars, the Steps are always there. At times, clouds block our view of the stars, but we know they are still there. Let's view the Twelve Steps the same way.
It is said that the stars are the gate to heaven, that we pass through their beauty to get ready to enter heaven. The Twelve Steps are the gate to spirituality here on earth. We travel through their beauty on our way to a spiritual awakening. Hitch your wagon to the Steps, and get ready for the ride of a lifetime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One Day at a Time

Stand tall ~ Start fresh ~ Let go of guilt
Don't look back ~ Take an inventory
Make amends ~ Trust others
Believe in yourself ~ Trust God's love
Appreciate your specialness
Accept your humanness
Ask for help
Trust enough to take
Have the courage to change
Accept the unchangeable
Be patient ~ Keep promises
Bury regret ~ Discard hate
Transcend self-doubt
Don't dwell on the past
Love each moment ~ Live each day
Build a better tomorrow ~ Open your heart
Explore your soul ~ Expect the best
Let miracles happen
LET GO and LET GOD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.” ~ Stephen Hawking

Old 08-25-2022, 05:59 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 25

Happy to Be Me Prayer

Dear God,
Give me the courage to be myself.
I’m always trying to be what others expect of me.
I’m wasting time and energy pleasing everyone but myself.
I’m not even very good at it.
Help me appreciate the best parts of being me.
Show me how to love myself so I can say with confidence:
I am very happy to be me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Two things can spoil group unity-gossip and criticism.

To avoid these divisive things, we must realize that we're all in the same boat. We're like a group of people in a lifeboat after the steamer has sunk. If we're going to be saved, we've got to pull together. It's a matter of life or death for us. Gossip and criticism are sure ways of disrupting any A.A. group. We're all in A.A. to keep sober ourselves and to help each other to keep sober. And neither gossip nor criticism helps anyone to stay sober.

So ............

Am I often guilty of gossip or criticism?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Failure

Failure is an attitude. Having an attitude of failure can't help us. It can only hurt us. If we're not careful, it can grow into a way of life. So, when we feel like failures, we better look at our attitudes.
An attitude of failure often comes from making mistakes. But we can learn to see our mistakes as lessons. This turns mistakes into gains, not failures. Sometimes, we try to do things that just can't be done.

When we act like we know everything, we're going to fail. If we try to act like God, we're going to fail.
We can't control others. We can't know everything. We're not God. We're human. If we act human, we've already won.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fellowship

We were still trying to find emotional security by being dominating or dependent upon others. Even when our fortunes had not ebbed that much and we nevertheless found ourselves alone in the world, we still vainly tried to be secure by some unhealthy kind of domination or dependence. For those of us who were like that, AA had a very special meaning. Through it we begin to learn right relations with people who understand us; we don't have to be alone any more."

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Pages 116-117

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing we’ll ever do.” ~ Brené Brown
Old 08-26-2022, 05:51 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 26

Prayer to Smile

Dear Lord,
Please help me to smile more.
I believe if I smiled more, others would be captivated by joy and would want to smile more as well.
I also want to be more intentional about smiling more.
I want people to see me smiling more, I want them to see my joy, and I want to stir happiness in their hearts.
I pray for others who struggle with smiling.
Inspire us and help us to smile.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Gossip about or criticism of personalities has no place in an A.A. room.

Every man in A.A. is a brother and every woman is a sister, as long as he or she is a member of A.A. We ought not to gossip about the relationships of any man or woman in the group. And if we say about another member, "I think she or he is taking a few drinks on the side," it's the worst thing we could do to that person. If a woman or a man is not living up to A.A. principles or has a slip, it's up to her or him to stand up in a meeting and say so. If they don't do that, they are only hurting themselves.

So ............

Do I talk about other members behind their backs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Believe

For many years, we had given up believing in ourselves, in a Higher Power, and in others. We believed in getting high. Now our program tells us to believe in love. We are lovable, and we can love others without hurting them. Of course, believing is an important part of recovery.

To believe means to put aside our doubts. To believe means to have hope. Believing makes the road a little smoother. So, believing lets the healing happen a little faster. All of this is how we get ready to let in the care of our Higher Power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choice

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 24

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
Old 08-27-2022, 05:25 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 27

Prayer When Afraid

In this moment, in the middle of my fear, I ask You to make me strong and courageous. Even if my heart is still pounding. Even if I don’t feel brave at all.

Give me the courage to do what You’ve called me to do, even when every muscle in my body wants to sprint in the opposite direction. Help me to act courageous before I feel courageous.

Fill me with confidence that You have good things planned for me. Fill me with trust. Fill me so full that there’s no room left for fear.
Amen

~ Ben White

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A. we find fellowship and release and strength.

Having found these things, the real reasons for our drinking are taken away. Then drinking has no more justification in our minds. We no longer need to fight against drinking. Drinking just naturally leaves us. At first, we are sorry that we can't drink, but we get so that we are glad that we don't have to drink.

So ............

Am I glad that I don't have to drink?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Be Prepared

There will be hard times in our program. There will be hard times in our lives. That's the way life is. It helps if we accept this. Then we can prepare for tough times. We can prepare by getting a good set of habits and sticking to them. We can make it a habit to give time to our program each day. Sticking to good habits is like having a savings account: when hard times come, we can take the "investment" we've made and overcome our problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Answer in the Mirror

While drinking, we were certain that our intelligence, backed by will power, could rightly control our inner lives and guarantee us success in the world around us. This brave philosophy, wherein each man played God, sounded good in the speaking, but it still had to meet the acid test: How well did it actually work? One good look in the mirror was answer enough.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 37

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“A diamond doesn't start out polished and shining. It once was nothing special, but with enough pressure and time, becomes spectacular. I'm that diamond.” ~ Solange Nicole

“Accept who you are; and revel in it.” ~ Mitch Albom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 08-28-2022, 05:43 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 28

Prayer For Strength

Lord,
I feel held back by my timidity and fear of what others think of me.
In times when I should speak up, I remain silent.
Help me to have confidence and to be bold in saying what needs to be said.
I ask that I have the courage to not let others talk over me.
Please ease my fear that others will dislike me because of my words.
Give me the wisdom to speak truthfully and sensitively.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Showing tolerance to other A.A.’s.

If we feel the need of saying something to put another member on the right track, we should try to say it with understanding and sympathy, not with a critical attitude. We should keep everything out in the open and aboveboard. The A.A. program is wonderful, but we must really follow it. We must all pull together or we'll all be sunk. We enjoy the privilege of being associated with A.A. and we are entitled to all its benefits. But gossip and criticism are not tolerance, and tolerance is an A.A. principle that is absolutely necessary to group unity.

So ............

Am I truly tolerant of all my group's members?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Tolerance

I need to be tolerant in my sobriety. I need to allow others to say what they feel and live according to their standards.

I was intolerant towards people who were different from myself. Much of what I criticized yesterday, I accept today; some things I still reject.

To love a person should not require "sameness"; equally, I can accept a person without agreeing with what they say or how they behave. Disagreements and conflicts lead to growth; change requires a variety of forces.

Not everything I say to do is "pure" --- and that has become the key to the acceptance of others. My history teaches me that I benefit from the variety of opinions that are represented in mankind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today

But today is always here. Life is daily; today is all we have; and anybody can go one day without drinking.
First, we try living in the now just in order to stay sober -- and it works.
Once the idea has become a part of our thinking, we find that living life in 24-hour segments is an effective and satisfying way to handle many other matters as well.

Living Sober Page 7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Tolerance isn't about not having beliefs. It's about how your beliefs lead you to treat people who disagree with you.' ~ Timothy Keller
Old 08-29-2022, 06:02 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 29

Slow Me Down Lord

Slow me down Lord
Ease the pounding of my heart
by the quieting of my mind.

Steady my hurried pace
with a vision of the eternal march of time.
Give me amid the confusion of the day,
the calmness of the eternal hills.

Break the tension of my nerves and muscles
with the soothing music of the singing streams
that lives in my memory.

Help me to know the magical restoring power of sleep.

Teach me the art of taking MINUTE vacations,
Of slowing down to look at a flower,
to chat with a friend,
to pat a dog,
to read a few lines of a good book.

Slow me down Lord
and inspire me to send my roots
deep into the soil of life's enduring values
that I may grow toward the stars of my greater destiny.

~ Wilfred A. Peterson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

One of the finest things about A.A. is the diversity of its membership.

We come from all walks and stations of life. All types and classes of people are represented in an A.A. group. Being different from each other in certain ways, we can each make a different contribution to the whole. Some of us are weak in one respect, but strong in another. A.A. can use the strong points of all its members and can disregard their weaknesses. A.A. is strong, not only because we all have the same problem, but also because of the diversified talents of its members. Each person can contribute a part.

So ............

Do I recognize the good points of all my group's members?,
(We are many & varied)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Life’s Outcome

I am in charge of my own life story.

There is always something you can do to shape your own future. Don’t let anyone or anything get in your way.

It’s easy to blame things outside of yourself for the outcome of your life. Sure, there are people and events that can get in your way. In reality, though, there are always things you can do to improve your situation. Remember that staying sober, setting goals and working hard will help you to create the life you want for yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Humility

The attainment of greater humility is the foundation principle of each of AA's Twelve Steps.
For without some degree of humility, no alcoholic can stay sober at all. . .
Without it, they cannot live to much useful purpose, or, in adversity, be able to summon the faith that can meet any emergency.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 70

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Peace is the ability to wait patiently in spite of panic brought on by uncertainty." ~ Charles R. Swindoll
Old 08-30-2022, 06:05 AM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 30

Prayer for a Humble Heart

Lord,
We pray for the heart position of humility. Humility in such a way that we do not cheapen our own worth or value within, but that we take the alignment that we are here for a greater purpose than just our own gain. We pray that You will highlight to us what it truly means to live a humble life, and that our own worth will be revealed by Your Light. It is only then that we may truly live in freedom and right standing, for we will hold our own value correctly. Lord, we welcome You to mold and secure our hearts in true humility by Your lead.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We should remember that all A.A.'s have "clay feet."

We should not set any member upon a pedestal and mark her or him out as a perfect A.A. It's not fair to the person to be singled out in this fashion and if the person is wise she or he will not wish it. If the person we single out as an ideal A.A. has a fall, we are in danger of falling, too. Without exception, we are all only one drink away from a drunk, no matter how long we have been in A.A. Nobody is entirely safe. A.A. itself should be our ideal, not any particular member of it.

So ............

Am I putting my trust in A.A. principles and not in any one member of the group?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Contemplation

Inside Strength

I am finding my authentic self and living with a purpose.
It takes strength to take off our masks and be at peace with who we really are. If we think about the strength it has taken us to get this far, we know we can stay strong even longer.

Even if some of us haven’t found our life’s calling yet, we have found things to live for and we are living determinedly, proposing to do the right thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Step Seven .......

Step Seven - "Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings. "

But again, we are driven on by the inescapable conclusion which we draw from A.A. experience, that we surely must try with a will, or else fall by the wayside. At this stage of our progress, we are under heavy pressure and coercion to do the right thing. We are obliged to choose between the pains of trying and the certain penalties of failing to do so. These initial steps along the road are taken grudgingly, yet we do take them. We may still have no very high opinion of humility as a desirable personal virtue, but we do recognize it as a necessary aid to our survival.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Pages 73-74

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“An intelligent person is never afraid or ashamed to find errors in their understanding of things.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

“Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.” ~ Ezra Taft Benson
Post New ThreadReply