View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 01:28 AM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

My list:

12 Reasons Why I Love Being Sober

I discovered recently that my sober life is so much more interesting than my life of drinking. The following are a few funny, but simple reasons why I love being sober:

1. If you go to a meeting every night, you get to spend time with your friends and hear the craziest stories. I’ve never heard better stories than the ones told in a recovery meeting. You also get free bagels occasionally

2. I always try to stay away from events where there is drinking, but when I am forced to be around other people that are active alcoholics, I get a sober view of the night’s events. My first thought is “I hope they get help.” My second thought is “I hope they don’t do what I think they’re going to do!” Never a dull moment.

3. When I was drinking, I would always hear someone say “You can sleep when you’re dead!”. Now, I sleep because I’m tired, not because I’m hungover from the 24 hour party that just occurred the night before. I am no longer forced to pull an all nighter with 20 other people wondering if I’m going to remember what happened the next day.

4. I never have to worry about drinking and driving. I’ll never have to call a cab because I drank too much ice tea.

5. I am always in control of what I say and do. I never have to worry about regretting something I said because I lost control of my verbal filter.

6. My relationships with people are not superficial. I have deeper, more meaningful relationships with friends and family.

7. I save a ton of money. No more ordering expensive bottles of wine with dinner or buying ridiculously expensive mixed drinks. Instead, I’ll save that money for a rainy day or a nice vacation.

8. I deal with problems with clarity instead of drowning them in a bottle of vodka, a bottle of wine or a twelve pack of Corona.

9. I do not have to wonder why there is a person laying in my front yard from the party the night before.

10. I no longer have to deal with obnoxious drunk people and better yet, I am no longer the obnoxious drunk person!

11. I don’t miss work because of hangovers.

12. Last but not least, I have peace. Something that I have never found at the bottom of a bottle.

Life is a beautiful thing when lived with clarity, understanding and a sober perspective.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing: