View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #214
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Grief

Quote:
As I have said many times, the real old-timers of the "golden age of AA" had simple solutions to complicated problems of life.

The following is an exercise they would tell a new-comer full of guilt. It will also work for self-pity and grief over the past:

Take a container of milk and spill it all over your kitchen floor (that's the past)..Now, you have two choices - try to put that milk back into the container (it cant't be done, only an alkie would try . The second choice is to wipe it up and go on with your life doing the next right thing.

As one of those old-timers once told me "the entire AA program can be reduced to three words - Accept, Accept, Accept"!

Tiger
Love the story Tiger. It brought a visual of me, spilling my coca-cola or worse still some "Crown Royal" on the counter and bending down to lick it up. The deadliest sin was to SPILL some! Heaven forbid!

It never ceases to amaze me how I stayed in denial for two years because I couldn't 'accept' my alcoholism. I didn't want to wear a label I had put on my dad and my ex-husband. Denial can keep us sick for a very long time. The only thing to bring us out of it as you say is acceptance, and all of it is such a big part of grief.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT000224.jpg (36.5 KB, 6 views)

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote