View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

SESSION 2

STEP 1 The Doctor’s Opinion

Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol – that our lives had become unmanageable.
Physical craving for liquor. (xxvii: 1 - xxviii: 0)
They cannot…differentiate the true from the false. (xxviii: 4)

ION YOUR OWN:STUDY – What did the Big Book authors say?

• READ Read The Doctor’s Opinion.Many will read Step 1 in the 12&12.

• WRITE As part of your Step 1 written inventory begin to write about:
      • Your own definition of each word in this Step, and every Step. Then look up each word individually in the dictionary.
      • Write what each part means to you: We admit that we are powerless over our alcoholism-addiction and that our lives have been and are unmanageable.
      • How am I powerless over alcohol? Even if I have been sober for a significant length of time, how am I powerless?”
      • How is my life unmanageable today?”

• TALK Talk with your sponsor and other members of the group about the readings and your reflections on them.

• PRACTICE DAILY MEDITATION / PRAYER The Big Book and 12&12 offer many suggestions for meditation and prayer. You may follow these suggestions, or choose a practice that is in line with your own belief system. The goal is to set aside some quiet reflection time, perhaps 15-20 minutes twice a day.

II WITH THE GROUP: PRACTICE – What does the Big Book say to me about my practice of Step 1?
As you go about your daily activities, think about the people, places, and things that are unmanageable, or over which you are powerless. Complete this sentence as often as necessary for any one day: “I cannot control / have no power over___________.”
Also list what you can control and what you do have power over. Share your lists with the group. Avoid 'yes' and 'no' rote answers. Instead, respond fully in detail and in depth.

Points of Focus and Reflection (Consider pp. xxvi: 3-xxix: 3) Try them out loud.
The Problem as understood by Dr. Silkworth in the Doctor’s Opinion.
1.) The mental obsession (xxviii: 4)
2.) The physical compulsion [physical craving or allergy (xxx: 5)]
3.) The using to excess [abuse: spree (xxix: 0)], and the need to control our
drinking.
4.) The need for a psychic change.

http://www.stepsbybigbook.net/
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote