View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

Alcoholism is a disease: an obsession of the mind that compels us to drink, and a sensitivity of the body that condemns us to go mad or die if we keep on.

An alcoholic is in no greater peril than when he takes sobriety for granted.

The essence of all growth is a willingness to change for the better.

An alcoholic/addict is a person who wants to be held while he's isolating.

A definition of sobriety is the ability to live comfortably, peacefully and joyously with ourselves.

A.A. is truly God's creation.

Every meeting has its own atmosphere and personality, if you don't like one, go to another.

Our recovery involves coming to terms with ourselves as we really are.

On alternatives to A.A. for the alcoholic; death if you're lucky, insanity if you're not--take your pick.

A C T I O N = Any Change To Improve Our Natures

H E L P = Hope, Encouragement, Love, and Patience

P R I D E = Pretty Ridiculous Individual Directing Everything

Y A N A = You Are Not Alone.

D U E S = Desperately Using Everything but Sobriety

F E A R = Forgetting Everything's All Right

B A T H = Behavior, Attitude, Thinking, and Habits

T R U S T = Try Relying Upon Steps and Traditions

F I T = Faith, Intuition, and Trust

N U T S = Not Using The Steps

T H I N K = The Happiness I Never Knew

G I F T S = Getting It From The Steps

B E S T = Been Enjoying Sobriety Today?

S O B E R = Son Of a Basket, Everything's Real

It isn't important how many times we fall--as long as we get up one more time.

ISM = I sponsor myself

When something needs done in our groups, let's quit waiting for "Somebody else to do it".

Stick with the stickers, those are the ones who have stuck around and are enjoying sobriety.

Sobriety doesn't change having good days and bad days, it's just that now we can have a bad day and remember that it'll change before we know it.

Recovery means change.

Resentment; recycled anger.

Live in the now.

Some may get to A.A. because they see the light but most get to A.A. because they feel the heat.

May we never forget that in extending the hand of A.A. we survive.

By saying we are alcoholics, we are constantly reminding ourselves that we are in recovery, not cured.

Just because we are no longer newcomers and are sponsoring others doesn't mean we should never feel disturbed.

If we do not take A.A.'s Twelve Steps seriously and in full how can we expect any results from them.

Alcohol is a depressant rather than a stimulant.

Alcoholism has been labeled as a "family illness" in that each member of the family feels the impact of having an alcoholic parent or spouse.

What a person shares in a meeting is not to be discussed outside the meeting.

Alcohol-ISM: I, Self, Me // I Sponsor Myself // Internal Spiritual Malady (or Maladjustment)// Incredibly Short Memory // InSide Me // I Sabotage Myself.

The Twelve Steps are a plan for living, not just for discussion.

"If God can solve the age-old riddle of alcoholism, He can solve your problems too." pg. 116

This AA oldtimer walks into a meeting room early, and sees a newcomer sitting at the table. The oldtimer says "Hey, how are you doing?"

The newcomer says "Oh, I'm doing okay, under the circumstances."

The oldtimer says "What are you doing under there?"

For the alcoholic, surrender is marked by the admission of being powerless over alcohol.

To change our lives we must change our thinking.

We helped others by passing on what we did, what we read, and what actions we took.

The simplicity of our program never changes--what works is constant; trust in God, clean house, and work with others.

If we can't figure out how to make amends, just turn it over to God, in time, there will be an answer, there will be a way.

The monkey may be off our backs, but let us not forget, the circus had not left town.

We can visit A.A. meetings for years, be a member of our Fellowship for years, but until we have a spiritual awakening, emotional sobriety will elude us.

Diet, rest and play are an important part of staying sober.

Please may we keep in mind: It is not what I like but what is best for the group.

One of the main differences between an active alcoholic and a recovering alcoholic can be expressed as a matter of tense;, the active alcoholic tends to live in the future or in the past, the sober alcoholic strives to live in the present.

We need power each day, because we get weary, but with A.A. as our structure and God as our source of strength, we can face life without taking a drink.

A.A. history statement: God was the cure for our drunkenness.

A drink will only make a situation worse, never ever better.

A.A. gives meaning and purpose to the individual and a way to be of service to others.

Anyone's relapse is an important learning experience for all.

"My gratitude to A.A. grows deeper each day I am sober" pg. 420

Our entire A.A. program rests upon the principle of mutual trust; we trust God, we trust A.A., and we trust each other.

Permanent sobriety can be attained only by a most revolutionary change in our lives and outlook--by a spiritual awakening that can banish the desire to drink.

Having a lot of knowledge of our Steps, A.A. and our Traditions is not really worth a darn if not put into practice.

Without sobriety we have nothing.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote