View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Really like this. It affirms a long-time belief. I can work my program within any fellowship and the common denominator is the 12 Steps.

For so many years, I would hear "You belong to that other fellowship. My sponsor was a heroin addict who found her recovery in AA, because NA was a trigger for her. I went to meetings from one end of the city to another, and my sponsor said, "Go to the meeting where the long time members are." I found that most of them went to their own group and seldom went to other meetings. I didn't have a car to get around, but I knew I had to look at all aspects of my disease, going back out was not an option. At first I had a healthy fear, if I miss a meeting, I would relapse. Without meetings, I was into self and allowed others things get in the way of my recovery. Having said that, I had to find an outside hobby, for me it was bridge, so that I had some balance in my life. You can become addicted to meetings, church, computers, TV, etc.

I had an AA sponsor, co-sponsor (always a Native American), NA sponsor and an Al-Anon sponsor, as well as going to counselling for some outside issues, like sexual assault at 15 years sober.

I had to be willing to do what ever it takes. For me to use is to die.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote