View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 11:07 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

March 4

Quote of the Week

"I learn to stop trying hard, and learn to try different."

We alcoholics are a stubborn lot. When I entered the program, I was a big ball of self-will run riot, and there was only one way to do something—my way. And if that didn’t work, I would just try harder: I would manipulate, lie, convince, or cajole until I got what I wanted. My ego convinced me I could get anything I demanded, and even though it was exhausting for me and many others, much of the time I succeeded.

Unfortunately, the things my self-will got me didn’t make me happy. In fact, they generally made me miserable and got me into trouble. And that’s when my sponsor said that instead of trying hard to get what I wanted, I might want to try different. He suggested that I pray for the knowledge of God’s will and the power to carry that out. While I was unconvinced this would make me happy, I was beaten down just enough to be willing to try.

Recovery, like life, is a process. Sometimes it’s one step forward and two steps back. But I’ve found that as I kept praying and taking right actions, my life did get better. I also found that the new things God gave me made me happier and more fulfilled than the other things I thought I wanted. As I worked the Steps and got a few years of recovery, I realized that the easier and softer way was to try different. And because of this, I now know what the “road to happy destiny” means.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote