View Single Post
Old 09-25-2023, 09:31 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 25

BB pg XXVii, XXiX
Ch-The Doctors Opinion
Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks—drinks they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the
well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change, there is very little hope of his recovery.

-Tom- at the beginning of my sobriety, all I was doing was not drinking, going to meetings and reading the BB, stark raving dry. One day at a meeting I got tricked by an old timer. He asked me, “why do you drink?” I said, cause I like the taste of Miller Lite and Jim Beam. He said “ok, well when not drinking those, is there any kind of sodas you like the taste of?” I said yeah, Pepsi. He said,”ok, so you like the taste of Pepsi, have you ever sat down and drank a case of Pepsi one after the other as fast as you could?” I said, no, that is stupid.
He said, “ok so tell me again why you drink?”
I said, “whatever” and walked off.
Of course later I thought about what he said and I realized that I drank because I HAD to change the way I felt.
Before AA, not drinking/sober felt like, restless, irritable, discontent, anxiety, shame, fury, guilt, worry,remorse, loneliness,depression, angry etc....all at once. It was horrible and a living Hell.
Alcohol was not my problem, it was the only solution I had to all my problems. So when my only solution was taken away, all I was left with was problems.
I am sober today through the Grace of God which I found through the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, and as the results of the 12 Steps, I received a psychic change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote