Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reflections for Every Day - January (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2138)

yukonm 01-16-2014 07:45 AM

January 16

Anita C. Says:

What helped me in this recovery process is the simple statement made by an old-timer, "If I don't pick up that first drink today, I can't get drunk today." I always thought it was the first six pack or the first gallon of wine. This statement was a revelation to me especially working with the Big Book.
The "Doctor's Opinion" had given me the reason I drank the way I did. It is an allergy of the body and the compulsion of the mind. I thank God and this old-timer for this insight.

yukonm 01-17-2014 07:12 AM

January 17

GettingBetter Says:

We are not bad people trying to get good, we are sick people trying to get better. It's not so much about the drinking, as it is the thinking.

yukonm 01-17-2014 11:48 PM

January 18

Magnolia Says:

When we stop blaming our disease for our behavior and surrender that is when we start listening to God. Reading the acceptance prayer helped me alot when I first got into the program, I read it faithfully everyday for three years. I still reflect on it.
The doctors had given me six months to live, in February I will have 9 years, by the grace of God. Thanks to everyone in the fellowship, I love how the program has and is teaching me to live on life's terms.

yukonm 01-18-2014 11:49 PM

January 19

JP Says:

No matter what, get your life in order before tackling other projects. It might seem selfish to you or others, but it's the most important step in your successful recovery.

yukonm 01-20-2014 07:19 AM

January 20

JP Says:

No matter what, get your life in order before tackling other projects. It might seem selfish to you or others, but it's the most important step in your successful recovery.

yukonm 01-21-2014 05:42 AM

January 21

Linda G. Says:

I have been working the Al-Anon program for 5-6 months. I have accepted I am powerless over alcohol or another's behavior. I am free to be me, help me, love me and have hope for the alcoholic in my life. Life is good in Al-Anon.

yukonm 01-22-2014 07:37 AM

January 22

Heather F. Says:

I used to think that life was worthless and that nothing was ever going to change. I thought I would always be worthless and no matter what I did drinking and all the misshaps and damage that went along with it would just continue until I walked in the doors of AA. I only drank for 5 years but that was enough for me to be suicidal, angry and pathetic.
Now almost two years later, one day at a time, I have a life. A real life. I have a Higher Power, a network of friends I can truly count on, self-respect and dignity. I know that when I walk in the rooms of AA I will be accepted no matter where I am at that day. I have been blessed with a wonderful sponsor. She has taught me real honesty. I owe what I am today to the program and the people who keep coming back.

yukonm 01-23-2014 07:35 AM

January 23

Marty Says:

The first week I had seven days of continuous sobriety - I was hit with gratitude. It was a God-thing. I was so grateful every morning to wake up sober that I was able to remember those feelings throughout the day. Later on a sponsor suggested I write a gratitude list: five things that I was grateful for today, right now, right this moment.
I still do this - when the pity starts; when I start to whine; when alcoholic thoughts jump into my head, I start a gratitude list. My thinking is rearranged and I can enjoy my life, my sobriety, the gifts I have been given. Gratitude has been an integral part of my sobriety for 15 years now.

yukonm 01-24-2014 07:18 AM

January 24

Peggy C. Says:

If you're panicking about a situation remember: everything changes. Chances are in another minute, or an hour, or a day you'll feel differently. Ask for God's inspiration in that moment - send him forth into your day or situation and you will be protected.
The most important thing I've learned this year is that 98 percent of my fears never come true. Relax and wear the world as a loose garment... as a sober, clean individual!

yukonm 01-25-2014 07:37 AM

January 25

Janene C. Says:

All thoughts have value. Good thoughts breed good values. Bad thoughts undermine what we value.

yukonm 01-26-2014 06:51 AM

January 26

Nancy P. Says:

I hit bottom and skidded sideways for awhile. What brought me to recovery was being brought to my knees, it total despair. I was finally ready, really ready to do what ever it took to get better. I had to remain opened minded to change, and willing to do what ever it took. I keep this attitude steadfast, and will soon be celebrating three years clean from active addiction.

yukonm 01-27-2014 06:43 AM

January 27

Jennifer D. Says:

I have realized that after a little over a year clean that my bottom was as bad as I want it to get. I still had material possessions but I was dying on the inside, slowly. I was a dressed up trash can. I know that I have to attend meetings and work a strong program so I don't forget how bad it was or how bad it could still get.

yukonm 01-28-2014 08:08 AM

January 28

Stobey Says:

The struggle is not against the tangible it is the struggle against chaos and despair. It is in meetings that I have found hope in this struggle. My job requires me to travel, so I go to meetings all over the country. They have saved my life countless times. This is my third New Years sober and I have never been more at peace, felt more centered, than today.

yukonm 01-29-2014 07:28 AM

January 29

Josie Says:

What I understand today is that for me to stay whole and present in my recovery I have to believe in myself. I do steps 1, 2, and 3 at the onset of a difficult situation. Letting my Higher Power in my heart allows me the freedom to view the situation with more clear understanding and less reaction on my part because I become aware of his will and not mine.

yukonm 01-30-2014 07:37 AM

January 30

Chris M. Says:

I was "sober" for 1-1/2 years when I thought I had lost everything to my disease. Then I started working on myself. I found out that through working a program and talking to trusted friends I may have lost a lot of material possessions, but that I had gained something more valuable. I found my Higher Power, and I found myself.
My first 18 months of sobriety was spent in anger, frustration and loneliness. Now I am at peace, I have a vast wealth of friends, and most important, I have a relationship with my God, and with myself. I will be celebrating two years in February and I couldn't be happier with who I am today.